The Student Room Group

Is Salman Khan REASON Behind Rajapaksa's DEFEAT In Sri Lanka? | 09th Jan 2015

Salman Khan fails to get votes for Rajapaksa in Sri Lanka

A group of Tamil activists today staged a protest outside Bollywood actor Salman Khan's residence here for supporting Sri Lankan president Mahinda Rajapaksa during a poll campaign in the neighbouring country.

Salman was recently in Colombo with his 'Kick' co-star Jacqueline Fernandez after accepting the invitation by Rajapaksa's son Namal, to campaign for his father.

Yet Rajapaksa lost by a big margin to Mahithri.

Khan, along with Jacqueline Fernandez and five other Bollywood performers appeared on the stage in support of Rajapaksa. It was the first time a Bollywood actor had been roped in for a poll campaign in Sri Lanka.

The Bollywood has star failed to ensure some extra votes for Rajapaksa as he suffered a shocking defeat. Tamil groups had protested against Salman Khan supporting Rajapaksa. The MDMK chief Vaiko had even called him a traitor.

Hindi movies are hugely popular in Sri Lanka, particularly in the national capital Colombo.
Austria does not believe the involvement of actors in elections to be particularly relevant and would rather focus on the religious and ethnic conflicts currently sparkling in Europe.
Reply 2
Original post by Fernand126
Austria does not believe the involvement of actors in elections to be particularly relevant and would rather focus on the religious and ethnic conflicts currently sparkling in Europe.

MUN is supposed to be global. :yep:
Believe it or not, google or search through all media networks this information is true! :yep:
Original post by Sena5
MUN is supposed to be global. :yep:
Believe it or not, google or search through all media networks this information is true! :yep:

[OOC]
As a person, I understand, agree, and thank you for providing debates on all areas of the world and this beautiful thing we call society.

But as an Austrian rep trying to be realistic, I need to reflect the Eurocentristic and rather arse-ish culture of the country :P
Reply 4
Original post by Fernand126
[OOC]
As a person, I understand, agree, and thank you for providing debates on all areas of the world and this beautiful thing we call society.

But as an Austrian rep trying to be realistic, I need to reflect the Eurocentristic and rather arse-ish culture of the country :P

That doesn't come into this topic. You be Euro whatever it is! MUN is global and not only restricted to Europe.
I would create global debates which is where and how all reps can give their comments!

You may or may not create threads for Australia instead stop being attached to Europe like a like a kid asking for lolly. Stop being one-sided and begin to think broader and wider! This is a student website! Remember that as people from world wide join the MUN. It is not just only Europe :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending