Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Please forgive me if I'm doing something wrong as this is my first post.

My question is- what type of person is good enough for Oxford?

I ask because I found a course at Oxford that really appeals to me, the "Bachelor of Mathematics and Philosophy". I love puzzles and riddles, mathematics and asking tough questions. However my main fear is that I don't know, on the slim chance I do get in, if I'm going to be surrounded by mathematical geniuses with IQ's 160+ while I struggle with my IQ 134. Help, please? Will I fit in in that course? Will I be able to actually get into Oxford?

I am currently in my final year of high school in Australia, FYI. Thanks for the help!

ReputationRep:
    The part when you said you'll struggle with a 134 IQ seems weird. You'll get in based on your academic record, personal statement, reference, MAT and Interviews. Maybe you can't control the academic record much if you apply this year, but you are in control of the MAT, the interviews and the PS(although it is less important), so make sure these will shine.

if you get in it means that the tutors believe you can cope.

ReputationRep:
    If the course appeals to you and you've got good grades, then I think it's worth applying. If you get an offer then the admissions tutors must think you'd be able to cope with the workload, because they look at every application in a lot of detail. Good luck if you do decide to apply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Addison.8)
    Hi all,

Please forgive me if I'm doing something wrong as this is my first post.

My question is- what type of person is good enough for Oxford?

I ask because I found a course at Oxford that really appeals to me, the "Bachelor of Mathematics and Philosophy". I love puzzles and riddles, mathematics and asking tough questions. However my main fear is that I don't know, on the slim chance I do get in, if I'm going to be surrounded by mathematical geniuses with IQ's 160+ while I struggle with my IQ 134. Help, please? Will I fit in in that course? Will I be able to actually get into Oxford?

I am currently in my final year of high school in Australia, FYI. Thanks for the help!
    I wouldn't worry about being surrounded by geniuses. You need to be smart, hard-working and enthusiastic, but not a genius.

I think you'd be better spending your time working out if the content of the course is your sort of thing. There is more about the course on pages 16-17 of:

https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/fi.../Maths2014.pdf

and there's suggested reading there and on p.11 - Blackburn's "Think" probably being a good starting point, also Brian Clegg's "A Brief History of Infinity".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    I wouldn't worry about being surrounded by geniuses. You need to be smart, hard-working and enthusiastic, but not a genius.

I think you'd be better spending your time working out if the content of the course is your sort of thing. There is more about the course on pages 16-17 of:

https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/fi.../Maths2014.pdf

and there's suggested reading there and on p.11 - Blackburn's "Think" probably being a good starting point, also Brian Clegg's "A Brief History of Infinity".
    Thanks very much for that, I'll try and get my hands on those texts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arslany)
    The part when you said you'll struggle with a 134 IQ seems weird.
    Sorry if it seemed weird, I was just trying to express my concern while giving some info to base answers off... As much as IQ can be unreliable.

ReputationRep:
    Most people would have an imposter's syndrome at Oxford, but if they accept you, it means they do think you can manage it.

Very few people get a 2:2 or 3, and even fewer dropped out (second-lowest in the country after Cambridge) so I wouldn't worry about anything much.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.