Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a bit stuck on the procedure on finding the answer to x^2 > 16 and x^2 > 36 and similar. Can someone help me out? I understand that square routing gives + or - but stuck after that.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Sketch the graph of y=x^2, then the rest should follow

ReputationRep:
    Is there not a quicker way to solve it? It's just an inequality right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShivP_98)
    Is there not a quicker way to solve it? It's just an inequality right?
    With practice, sketching the graphs to solve inequalities of the form ax^2 + bx + c > 0 is trivial and takes only a few seconds to roughly scrawl the sketch out on a piece of paper. The main thing is identifying the roots of the quadratic and sketching the positive and/or negative shape of the quadratic with respect to the roots. The solution to the inequality follows immediately after.

If you want, you could visualise the graph in your head and solve it, but I would recommend against that.

In your case, simply sketch out the graph of (x-4)(x+4), with roots at \pm 4 and see for what values of x for which the graph of (x-4)(x+4) is above the x-axis. Is it for x-values between -4 and 4, bigger than 4, less than 4, both bigger and less?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a bit stuck on the procedure on finding the answer to x^2 > 16 and x^2 > 36 and similar. Can someone help me out? I understand that square routing gives + or - but stuck after that.

Thanks
    The zeros occur at 4 and -4
    So you consider x values either side of those
    You will need to be either between or outside of the values
    If you try a value between, eg x=1 then you do not get more than 16
    So you do not want to be between and the only other alternative is outside
    So
    x<-4 or x>4
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hi,

Thanks
    I'd always make the coefficient of x^2 positive, factorise (or solve) the quadratic, draw a positive parabola with a horizontal line crossing it, label the roots of the quadratic and the answer will be obvious.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks
    For a quadratic inequality of this form, you can just use DOTS to factorise:

x^2 &gt; 16 \Rightarrow x^2-16 &gt; 0 \Rightarrow (x+4)(x-4) &gt; 0

Since ab &gt; 0 \Rightarrow either (a &gt; 0 \text{ and } b &gt; 0) \text{ or } (a &lt; 0 \text{ and } b &lt; 0) we must have either:

x + 4 &gt; 0 \text{ and } x-4 &gt; 0 \Rightarrow x &gt;-4 \text{ and } x &gt; 4 \Rightarrow x &gt; 4

or:

x + 4 &lt; 0 \text{ and } x-4 &lt; 0 \Rightarrow x &lt; -4 \text{ and } x &lt; 4 \Rightarrow x &lt; -4

i.e. if x^2 &gt; 16 then x is either less than -4 or greater than 4.

You'll see this geometrically if you draw the graphs of y=x^2 and y=16 and look to see in which regions of the x-axis is the graph of the curve is above the graph of the line.

ReputationRep:
    Still don't understand the graph thing - can anyone dumb it down a little?

ReputationRep:
    From the mark scheme, the answer for something slightly different (x^2 < 16) is -4<x<4

ReputationRep:
    From the mark scheme, the answer for something slightly different (x^2 < 16) is -4<x<4
    Of course it is ... Refer to my previous post

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, I think I understand now. Thanks everyone for your help!

ReputationRep:
    It looks like you may have written the question wrong in the OP. Your mark scheme answer is corrent for x^2 < 16

However I've worked both of them out for you. Check below:

x^2 > 16 (what you've asked for in the question)

x^2 < 16 (what I think you we're meant to ask)

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot, that helped also!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.