The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1080
Original post by jammy4041
Thanks. I hope he makes it. I really do. He just has to keep flashing more.

Regarding Fantasy, I'm game. NFL.com is fine enough for what it is. Kind of want to keep them all in one place. A vanilla game should be nice, although when I had my auction draft in the league I am administering, I will let you know how it is.

I think auctions are fine as long as you have book prices on every player you could potentially draft and you don't adjust them upwards too much in the heat of the moment. That way the league will probably be more even than standard leagues where some people simply draft badly because they're ill informed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Wattsy
I think auctions are fine as long as you have book prices on every player you could potentially draft and you don't adjust them upwards too much in the heat of the moment. That way the league will probably be more even than standard leagues where some people simply draft badly because they're ill informed.

The NFL draft client adjusts the expected values based on the number of teams, and the number of bench slots, and budgets and stuff. I hope it works a lot better, because in a 20 team league, someone picked a defense first. And he was like fifth overall.
Original post by Wattsy
It also might be time to start registering fantasy interest. What do you want to play? I'd be happy to admin a league or two if DT isn't here any more to retake that mantle. I'd be up for playing standard, auction and IDP. I liked using NFL.com as the host site too but do share your opinions.

I'm more than interested in fantasy; already got a couple of leagues on the go and would like to add another. I agree with using NFL.com; just keeps everything in one location - for me anyway - and as for the rest, my vote is keep it classic: live draft, non-auction, potentially the possibility of a dynasty league/keepers, no-IDP or PPR... that being said, I won't say no if people would prefer something different.
I'm interested in the simplest type of league. I will be the one that picks stupidly but will have fun.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1084
The live draft is a must. It's way more fun even if I did have to trek to the empty uni library to do it last time. This time hopefully my house will have Internet! I don't really know how dynasty/keeper leagues work but we tend to have really high player turnover from year to year so I'm not sure that being able to hold onto players is a great idea. Being honest, I'm headed into the last year of my degree; I'm not sure working life will accommodate TSR so come the 2016 draft I probably won't be around.
IK Enemkpali is a piece of s***. Who the hell injures their team's starting QB by sucker punching him in the jaw so hard that it breaks in two places? Geno started slow last season, but he has so much potential and the Jets finally started putting viable pieces around him...and he had a perfect game in the last game of the season. Now he's out 6-10 weeks!!!
Reply 1086
I was just about to edit jammy's thoughts into my post. Sorry Jets fans I usually enjoy laughing at your disarray but this is too much. Who punches their team mate, particularly their QB IN THE LOCKER ROOM!? On field throw downs at camp are fine but no punches and never the QB! He's wearing the red jersey for a reason. If he's not hittable on the field then there is no way he's hittable off it.
What an idiot.
Original post by Wattsy
The Jags staff writer answered my question

Nathan from York, England:
How does Corey Grant look in camp? He's got serious speed but do you think that will transfer into impact on the field now and in the future?
John: Grant has shown serious speed in practice and he showed it in the scrimmage Saturday. I think we’ll start seeing how it translates on kickoff returns in the preseason. He’ll either shine brightly then or not, and that will probably dictate whether or not he’s on the roster. My guess is he’ll shine and that he will be around. We’ll see.

I watched the scrimmage. He returned a kickoff to the end zone but was deemed tackled further back. He really is quick. It's him or Bernard Pierce I think and as good as Bernard has looked Corey offers you a higher ceiling and a different skill set.

It also might be time to start registering fantasy interest. What do you want to play? I'd be happy to admin a league or two if DT isn't here any more to retake that mantle. I'd be up for playing standard, auction and IDP. I liked using NFL.com as the host site too but do share your opinions.

Sorry pal, summer was mad with graduation and stuff for me. Just started a new job the other week, realised pre season starts this weekend and thought it might be time to see who was interested. You beat me too it though haha. If you want to set it up that's fine by me, I wouldnt mind a draft, a snake or one of each depending on numbers we get. I can set it up at the weekend otherwise.
I think we can group quote the regular posters in here somehow (anyone know this? if not I'll ask mccrae in the prem prediction thread) . Lets get this up and running.
Reply 1089
Original post by ..DT..
Sorry pal, summer was mad with graduation and stuff for me. Just started a new job the other week, realised pre season starts this weekend and thought it might be time to see who was interested. You beat me too it though haha. If you want to set it up that's fine by me, I wouldnt mind a draft, a snake or one of each depending on numbers we get. I can set it up at the weekend otherwise.
I think we can group quote the regular posters in here somehow (anyone know this? if not I'll ask mccrae in the prem prediction thread) . Lets get this up and running.

I'm glad you're back! It's probably easier for you to set up since you've done it before. The weekend gives us the chance to hash out the finer points. I can do the group quote the next time I pick up my computer. I'm on iPad now and it'll be a pain.
Original post by ..DT..

@shunter7634 @munn @jimbles @Scott129 @cant_think_of_name .. I believe were in the fantasy league from last season...

@Motorbiker @SmashConcept @Malevolent @Josh_Stride @Wattsy @jammy4041 ...regulars.

Also in the interests of fairness, @TheGiantPunkGooner replied to Josh_Stride's post.

My league that I am running drafts this saturday. But, I would suggest that he draft happens after the third week of preseason when the 1s play, and there's a good idea of how things will shake down/injuries and suspensions for the first game and stuff are sorted.

I'm easy with a snake draft. Standard scoring and defense, I'd recommend QB-RB1-RB2-WR1-WR2-TE-RB/WR/TE-K with 6 bench slots, depending on numbers (if there's too many than 5 is good.)
Original post by Wattsy
I was just about to edit jammy's thoughts into my post. Sorry Jets fans I usually enjoy laughing at your disarray but this is too much. Who punches their team mate, particularly their QB IN THE LOCKER ROOM!? On field throw downs at camp are fine but no punches and never the QB! He's wearing the red jersey for a reason. If he's not hittable on the field then there is no way he's hittable off it.

To think her lost his $510k salary over a $600 plane ticket for Geno to attend his football camp -- which he didn't attend because a close friend died.
@shunter7634 @munn @jimbles @Scott129 @cant_think_of_name .. I believe were in the fantasy league from last season...

@Motorbiker @SmashConcept @Malevolent @Josh_Stride @Wattsy @jammy4041 ...regulars.

Also in the interests of fairness, @TheGiantPunkGooner replied to Josh_Stride's post.

My league that I am running drafts this saturday. But, I would suggest that he draft happens after the third week of preseason when the 1s play, and there's a good idea of how things will shake down/injuries and suspensions for the first game and stuff are sorted.

I'm easy with a snake draft. Standard scoring and defense, I'd recommend QB-RB1-RB2-WR1-WR2-TE-RB/WR/TE-K with 6 bench slots, depending on numbers (if there's too many than 5 is good.)

I'm definitely keen for this. I have justice to dispense.
Patriots fan here - glad there is a thread on here for the NFL!
I am so up for some fantasy football.

Do I have to prepare beforehand and get an account on a fantasy site?

Or are we using nfl.com?
Original post by Motorbiker
I am so up for some fantasy football.

Do I have to prepare beforehand and get an account on a fantasy site?

Or are we using nfl.com?

I believe the plan is to use NFL.com. It's where it was last season, and most of us already have a few fantasy teams there, so it'll be good to keep them in one place...
Preparation is what wins fantasy leagues though...
(edited 8 years ago)
I believe the plan is to use NFL.com. It's where it was last season, and most of us already have a few fantasy teams there, so it'll be good to keep them in one place...
Preparation is what wins fantasy leagues though...

My tactic is to Google what a roughly sensible pick would be based on previous performance and then be a little bit bias towards random teams I like.
I'll happily play. Honestly I doubt I know any more about fantasy than Motorbiker but hey ho.
We only play for fun here on TSR anyway (except when I'm losing and then its serious) ... :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest