The Student Room Group

AQA FP3 Differential equations using substitution

Hi I'm on this question (see word doc below) and here are my workings. I've labelled each line with a letter so when you spot where I'm going wrong you could just direct me to that line, if that makes things easier for you.

Thanks
Original post by maggiehodgson
Hi I'm on this question (see word doc below) and here are my workings. I've labelled each line with a letter so when you spot where I'm going wrong you could just direct me to that line, if that makes things easier for you.

Thanks

Line e. On the RHS you're differentiating wrt x, not t, so you'll need the chain rule as well as the product rule.

Is that sufficient for you to sort it out?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by maggiehodgson

Thanks

Line e
The first part of the second differential you have differentiated wrt t and not multiplied by dt/dx

Snap
Many thanks to both of you. I'm nearly there. Currently I have a -t^(-2) y" but I've got rid of the y' so surely I must be able to sort it out.

Quick Reply

Latest