Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to become sharper? Also, how to deal with this person? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok so this is probably a weird sounding question, but there you go.

Ever since I was a kid blah blah, I've always been booksmart but not 'streetsmart'. I've read numerous articles and got advice about it, but ultimately what scares me is that this is what I'll always be like.

On top of that, my family always says to me that I speak really quietly, and I think that's because I have little confidence when I am am home- when I am out with friends at school etc., I tend to be the loudest one there.

And finally, there's this one person at school against whom I always feel like shi*. This person is in 3 of my 4 classes, is going to Oxford ALTHOUGH SHE HAS NEVER OPENED A FREAKING TEXTBOOK, and is a very fast thinker, and to top it off, they are attention demanding, all the teachers love them, receives loads of awards (whereas I never do). They also talk to me like I am inferior (apparently they do this to quite a few people) but just urghjbkjerbglekb I just fell so...useless...when I am with this person.

I have been told so many times, and I fully believe that I am more the leader than the follower. And I am strong- I went through depression and had to work through t myself, and I did. I hate people telling me what do, and am very independent. It isn't like me to feel so threatened by someone. But I can't help it when it comes to this person.

Someone please help me out here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misha_k)
    They also talk to me like I am inferior (apparently they do this to quite a few people) but just urghjbkjerbglekb I just fell so...useless...when I am with this person.
    If you feel useless when you are with this person, why are you with them? :confused:
    I understand that you are in the same class but don't you sit with your own friends so that she/he shouldn't be really affecting you and even if they do speak to you just ignore them if they make you feel bad, their attitude presumably wont help them in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NineTailedFox)
    If you feel useless when you are with this person, why are you with them? :confused:
    I understand that you are in the same class but don't you sit with your own friends so that she/he shouldn't be really affecting you and even if they do speak to you just ignore them if they make you feel bad, their attitude presumably wont help them in the future.
    I wish I could, but it's not that easy. Firstly, these classes are very, very small. I mean like 5/6 people. Secondly, they are one of the most attention-seeking people I've met. I'm not even trying to be mean or harsh or whatever. They're not a leader figure, they are a dictator.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could, but it's not that easy. Firstly, these classes are very, very small. I mean like 5/6 people. Secondly, they are one of the most attention-seeking people I've met. I'm not even trying to be mean or harsh or whatever. They're not a leader figure, they are a dictator.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    turn it in to a positive, let this person galvanize you to become the person you want to be.

You made a good start by opening this thread. now get out there, and stop being a quiet mouse.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could, but it's not that easy. Firstly, these classes are very, very small. I mean like 5/6 people.
    Ah I see. I was thinking of a class of of 30 or so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theafricanlegend)
    turn it in to a positive, let this person galvanize you to become the person you want to be.

You made a good start by opening this thread. now get out there, and stop being a quiet mouse.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NineTailedFox)
    Ah I see. I was thinking of a class of of 30 or so
    Ah dw tbh, our classes are just teeny tiny XD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.