Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, Im a newbie!!

I have a question for anybody who knows anything about fitness. I have just been invited on holiday by my boyfriends family and want to lose a couple of stones before I go. The holiday is on 12 June. If I go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week (i already swim twice a week) and reduce the amout of crap I eat do you think it is possible to lose the weight?

Thanx

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and even if you dont lose that weight but stick to that plan, you will feel 10 times better anyway!

All the best, hope it goes well.

ReputationRep:
    Go on a diet. Not a less food diet, but one with a good structured plan about what you can eat and when you can eat it.

And do good exercise. Running, swimming, cycling etc.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: couple of stone by June? No chance, that's too much weight to lose in that time scale. Unless you're morbidly obese (they seem to be able to lose weight very quickly due to water retention)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunflower)
    Hey everyone, Im a newbie!!

I have a question for anybody who knows anything about fitness. I have just been invited on holiday by my boyfriends family and want to lose a couple of stones before I go. The holiday is on 12 June. If I go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week (i already swim twice a week) and reduce the amout of crap I eat do you think it is possible to lose the weight?

Thanx

it is very unlikely u will lose a whole 2 stone
    about a stone i would say at the most
    if u lose more than 2 pounds a week ur losing water n muscle which is crap cuz the weight wont stay off

ReputationRep:
    oh, ok. Thanks. I guess Ill try for just one stone then. serves myself right for eating all that chocolate I suppose :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i feel the saem i feel quite fat eww hate it

ReputationRep:
    Youre not going to lose 2+ stones of bodyfat by june, maybe 2 stones of weight, but not fat(which is what youre after I assume)?

Exercise is going to cause you to burn muscle, so if you do it, make sure you do some form of weight lifting(whole body) to make sure you encourage your body to keep the muscle. Try and do activitys which use the whole body(swimming, cross trainers) as these use almost all of your muscles which again tells your body to keep the muscle(as youre using it to do the exercise) rather than burn it. Remember though, losing fat is all about diet...

Generally cutting the crap will work, but I suspect your diet mostly contains crap, so cutting the crap will mean eating alot less which isnt particularly good..eat 6 small meals a day, every 3 hours, only eat complex carbs, get your fat intake <50g a day and the weight should come off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocolate_Lover)
    it is very unlikely u will lose a whole 2 stone
    about a stone i would say at the most
    if u lose more than 2 pounds a week ur losing water n muscle which is crap cuz the weight wont stay off
    Not necessarily, that is the general rule though, and water loss isnt particularly bad, it just gives a false impression as to the amount of fat youre losing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Not necessarily, that is the general rule though, and <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=water&v=55">water</a> loss isnt particularly bad, it just gives a false impression as to the amount of fat youre losing
    this guy knows what he is talking about - listen to him

ReputationRep:
    its just not fat k
    ive learnt my stuff with a history of weight problems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazzYaa7)
    this guy knows what he is talking about - listen to him

i know what im talkin about im gonna b dietician just u see

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it by weight. Especially because if you excersise a lot, you will be gaining muscle which weighs more than fat and that might disallusion you. Measure your waist, hips, thighs etc as a measure of how well you're doing. Cut the crap out of your diet, don't eat for lets say 3 or 4 hours before you go to bed, and excersise a lot. Good luck!

...hmmm now if only I would follow my own advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Youre not going to lose 2+ stones of bodyfat by june, maybe 2 stones of weight, but not fat(which is what youre after I assume)?

Exercise is going to cause you to burn muscle, so if you do it, make sure you do some form of weight lifting(whole body) to make sure you encourage your body to keep the muscle. Try and do activitys which use the whole body(swimming, cross trainers) as these use almost all of your muscles which again tells your body to keep the muscle(as youre using it to do the exercise) rather than burn it. Remember though, losing fat is all about diet...

Generally cutting the crap will work, but I suspect your diet mostly contains crap, so cutting the crap will mean eating alot less which isnt particularly good..eat 6 small meals a day, every 3 hours, only eat complex carbs, get your fat intake <50g a day and the weight should come off.
    Thanks, that is quite useful. I dont really eat that badly, it is just that chocolate is my weakness!

I am booked into the gym in an hour. When you say do weights do you mean free weights or resistance? I dont like the free weights area, the beefy men intimidate me lol.

Also is it true that drinking more water makes you lose water retained in your tissues?

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that is quite useful. I dont really eat that badly, it is just that chocolate is my weakness!
    Cut the chocolate. i'm afraid that if you don't put the effort in, you won't get the results.

I am booked into the gym in an hour. When you say do weights do you mean free weights or resistance? I dont like the free weights area, the beefy men intimidate me lol.
    Either. However, free weights are superior. They require you to develop proper technique and use more muscles for stabilisation. Don't worry about beefy men.

Also is it true that drinking more water makes you lose water retained in your tissues?
    No. Drink plenty of water anyway.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 10, 2004
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.