The Student Room Group

Are these A-level options good for...

Hello, I want to do either Law or Economics at a top 10 University and was wondering what A level options would keep both open to me.

I was thinking;
Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Geography

Any advice would be great :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SSpringer20
Hello, I want to do either Law or Economics at a top 10 University and was wondering what A level options would keep both open to me.

I was thinking;
Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Geography

I was just thinking maybe it would be better to do law instead of geography if you are stuck between the two degrees. So you can get a feel for the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I heard a level law is looked down upon and is a 'soft subject'.
Reply 3
Additionally my sixth form doesn't offer a level law.

I was thinking;
Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Geography

Those sound fine.
I also consider english language as well.
Reply 5
We can only do 4 unfortunately :frown:
We can only do 4 unfortunately :frown:

You might want to cinsider it instead of geography or something.
Reply 7
English literature?
The first three are good for economics. I don't know enough about law.
Reply 9
Thanks anyway :smile:.
English Lit or History instead of Geography would put you in a better position for Law, but ultimately with good grades you're still in with the chance of getting into Law with your current subjects.
Economics and geography are a great combination. There's a good overlap so stuff you learn in 1 applies to the other. I think the 4 subjects you listed is a really good balance. You might want to take Physics or something as a 5th AS if you want to get into a top uni, shouldn't be too much extra work as you're doing FM.
Wouldn't 5 A levels be a bit much?

Flather was suggesting 4.5, but there's nothing wrong with taking 5 A-levels if you can manage it.

Universities will only look at your top 3 usually though.

Maths and FM would only count as 1 anyway
Original post by Flather
Maths and FM would only count as 1 anyway

Surely they would count as two for law or economics?
For law especially i'd substitute Geography for History. Nothing wrong with Geography, but History will prepare you better for Law. I'd say for Economics though, Geography would be just as if not more valuable than History.
Pretty much perfect for economics, but as others have said it may well be worth taking History or English Literature instead of geography if you want to keep law open as a possible pathway, as Universities tend to prefer those subjects for law (look at what specific institutions recommend).
Well, I looked on Cambridge's website and it specifies no a level that is even remotely prefered. However, I did look at Trinity's and they said they'd prefer traditional subjects and all of mine were there.
Bump

Quick Reply

Latest