Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How strictly is the mobile phone ban enforced at your school? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's not very strictly enforced at my school.

The vast majority of teachers would ignore it as long as it wasn't too obvious, some would tell you to put it away, only a few would actually confiscate them.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by flibber)
    It's not very strictly enforced at my school.

The vast majority of teachers would ignore it as long as it wasn't too obvious, some would tell you to put it away, only a few would actually confiscate them.
    They're not banned in our school. You're not supposed to use them in lessons and when someone's phone went off in the lower school it would coax a chorus of "Oooooh"s from the class but nobody really cares in the Sixth Form and we often use them to bring up formula booklets and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    They're not banned in our school. You're not supposed to use them in lessons and when someone's phone went off in the lower school it would coax a chorus of "Oooooh"s from the class but nobody really cares in the Sixth Form and we often use them to bring up formula booklets and stuff.
    So none of your teachers ever confiscated phones in lessons?

My French teacher confiscated a classmate's phone in Year 9 when I believe he was simply checking something as she thought that he was taking pictures of her of something like that (because everyone finds her attractive).
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    So none of your teachers ever confiscated phones in lessons?

My French teacher confiscated a classmate's phone in Year 9 when I believe he was simply checking something as she thought that he was taking pictures of her of something like that (because everyone finds her attractive).
    The only case I can remember was when someone's phone randomly started playing someone's revision notes during a German controlled assessment (which genuinely wasn't her fault but obviously the fact that he only confiscated it and didn't disqualify her was fair enough).

ReputationRep:
    They used to tell you to put it away and if not it would be confiscated . People had to go with a parent after school to collect it

ReputationRep:
    The only case I can remember was when someone's phone randomly started playing someone's revision notes during a German controlled assessment (which genuinely wasn't her fault but obviously the fact that he only confiscated it and didn't disqualify her was fair enough).
    Ah, ok.

Is there any logic behind the ban on phones (even outside of lessons) in most schools?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Ah, ok.

Is there any logic behind the ban on phones (even outside of lessons) in most schools?
    Possibly. In the upper school I don't think they're a problem but I think they definitely were a distraction in the lower school, although I'm not sure if banning them would have made a big difference.

ReputationRep:
    What is said is 'on site, out of sight'.
    Only the senior members of staff bother to confiscate and most teacher's are blind to phones being taken out in front of them.
    My french teacher saw phones being taken out three times in about 20 mins, but she didn't confiscate any of them.

ReputationRep:
    If you're in sixth form teachers don't care. We're only supposed to use them in the sixth form canteen apparently, but people use them in the corridors, library, lesson ect... We're actually encouraged to use our phones in Biology for research.

However the lower years have it pretty strict, their phones are always confiscated if seen - and they usually are, there are an excess of 150+ teachers at my school. I think the teachers are too intimidated to discipline sixth former's so just leave us be.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    At school I couldn't have them in breaks and they couldn't even be in pocket but at college they don't even care

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neal95)
    They used to tell you to put it away and if not it would be confiscated . People had to go with a parent after school to collect it
    What's the argument for making your parents retrieve it? Surely they might as well just email them and let you pick it up yourself.

Possibly. In the upper school I don't think they're a problem but I think they definitely were a distraction in the lower school, although I'm not sure if banning them would have made a big difference.
    I never remember being distracted by my phone (until I starting to use my TSR account last November, when it became a big problem for me when I revise).

(Original post by Aria Enoshima)
    What is said is 'on site, out of sight'.
    Only the senior members of staff bother to confiscate and most teacher's are blind to phones being taken out in front of them.
    My french teacher saw phones being taken out three times in about 20 mins, but she didn't confiscate any of them.
    Same for my school, although my deputy head recently walked up to someone in my music class all the way up to the path to the Sports Hall (which was a relatively long walk from the other buildings) just to confiscate their phone.
    My form tutor used to try to stop people from using their phones during form time, but since everyone does it he just tolerates it these days.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I never remember being distracted by my phone (until I starting to use my TSR account last November, when it became a big problem for me when I revise).
    Neither was I but I remember seeing a lot of people use their phones under their desks.

ReputationRep:
    We are not allowed to have inside the building, if it is seen by a staff then it is confiscated. We are allowed to bring it outside though.
    I think some teachers just doesn't bother about the rule and let's us off

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Same for my school, although my deputy head recently walked up to someone in my music class all the way up to the path to the Sports Hall (which was a relatively long walk from the other buildings) just to confiscate their phone.
    My form tutor used to try to stop people from using their phones during form time, but since everyone does it he just tolerates it these days.
    Some of the higher ups just seem to prowl around looking for phones, probably because to make it seem like the rule is doing something. We had the policy changed when i came into year ten from it being allowed outside of lessons to what it is now. Apparently because people were using social networking to create problems.
    Still all sounds like bs to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRennison)
    At school I couldn't have them in breaks and they couldn't even be in pocket but at college they don't even care

Posted from TSR Mobile
    At my school even the sixth formers could only technically use it in the Sixth Form canteen.
    (Original post by Jasminem97)
    If you're in sixth form teachers don't care. We're only supposed to use them in the sixth form canteen apparently, but people use them in the corridors, library, lesson ect... We're actually encouraged to use our phones in Biology for research.

However the lower years have it pretty strict, their phones are always confiscated if seen - and they usually are, there are an excess of 150+ teachers at my school. I think the teachers are too intimidated to discipline sixth former's so just leave us be.:rolleyes:
    Are sixth formers badly behaved at your school?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it was a stupid rule about the parents having to collect phones. I never had mine confiscated as a phone was never a distraction for me in school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aria Enoshima)
    Some of the higher ups just seem to prowl around looking for phones, probably because to make it seem like the rule is doing something. We had the policy changed when i came into year ten from it being allowed outside of lessons to what it is now. Apparently because people were using social networking to create problems.
    Still all sounds like bs to me.
    Lol I love how they use meaningless excuses... how out of touch they are with our generation

(Original post by DaVinciGirl)
    We are not allowed to have inside the building, if it is seen by a staff then it is confiscated. We are allowed to bring it outside though.
    I think some teachers just doesn't bother about the rule and let's us off

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is it in your school that if loads of people break a rule (e.g. the whole class doesn't hand in their homework/ loads of people use their phones) the teacher lets them off?

It sometimes happens in my school. I call it 'herd immunity'

Neither was I but I remember seeing a lot of people use their phones under their desks.
    That's not as prevalent at my school, fortunately/unfortunately (depends on the situation).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neal95)
    Yeah it was a stupid rule about the parents having to collect phones. I never had mine confiscated as a phone was never a distraction for me in school
    Whenever I hear of a stupid rule I feel like wanting to smash the grave of the person who came up with that rule when they die.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    If teachers can't see it then you don't have one though some are quite lenient...
    You can only use it one the reading period. Also if you have it on at 3:30 but you're in school then your fine.
    It differs from teacher to teacher :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Lol I love how they use meaningless excuses... how out of touch they are with our generation
    One of my pals had her phone confiscated while she was at lunch on prefect duty. And in that room there seems to allways be a craptonne of little year 7 upstarts being dumb but nooo they decide to go for the prefect trying to have some kind of sensibility and not help her, but take away her pride and joy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.