Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A-Levels are making me miserable . . . Watch

I'm in Y12 and A-Levels are starting to take their toll on me. I'm predicted A grades and I feel like I'm never going to achieve them. I only like one of my subjects. Two are okay but I feel behind and find it hard to understand what's going on and the last one is seemingly impossible and although it's better than it was, I still feel like I'm never going to do well. I want to go to a good university or get onto a good school leaver scheme but I feel like it's more likely I'm going to have a nervous breakdown. It also doesn't help that I've been ill for two weeks and I feel really run down. Today I planned to revise and do my work but I've been crying and feeling miserable. Please help.

ReputationRep:
    You need to speak to your teachers, tell them about your struggles (but do not blame them for it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naveen1412)
    Don't feel like you facing the workload in one massive chunk, if you do this it will feel impossible to accomplish it. break up the work into really small manageable pieces. I know how you feel in terms of just wanting to give up but remember millions of people around your age, from people like me doing gcses, to yr 12s doing as' yr 13s doing a2s and even univeristy students are all going through the same thing as you
    This is really good advice; you might feel like you're using up valuable revising time by working out how to break things down into small chunks, but it'll make it seem much more manageable in the long run.

Can I ask what subjects you're studying?

(Original post by *pitseleh*)
    This is really good advice; you might feel like you're using up valuable revising time by working out how to break things down into small chunks, but it'll make it seem much more manageable in the long run.

Thanks everyone. Can I PM you?

(Original post by shawn_o1)
    You need to speak to your teachers, tell them about your struggles (but do not blame them for it)
    I really don't know how I would go about doing this . . . !
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by *pitseleh*)

I found this worked really well for me. I had pieces of paper / post it notes on my walls and I'd have the topics on each one. Under those would be headings of what I'd need to learn.

I think a revision timetable (which is easy enough to make) would also help the OP too.

ReputationRep:
    You really shouldn't be worrying now, there's ages away from any proper exams, which should give you enough time to calm down and pull yourself back together

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm in Y12 and A-Levels are starting to take their toll on me. I'm predicted A grades and I feel like I'm never going to achieve them. I only like one of my subjects. Two are okay but I feel behind and find it hard to understand what's going on and the last one is seemingly impossible and although it's better than it was, I still feel like I'm never going to do well. I want to go to a good university or get onto a good school leaver scheme but I feel like it's more likely I'm going to have a nervous breakdown. It also doesn't help that I've been ill for two weeks and I feel really run down. Today I planned to revise and do my work but I've been crying and feeling miserable. Please help.
    The fact that you've been crying instead of working perhaps suggests you may be feeling down anyway and that it's being worsened by the stress of A-levels? Try talking to someone you trust about how you feel, chat to your teachers, they can give you extra support and more guidance with revision etc. And don't worry about it too much, A-levels are a huge leap up from GCSE's and I know so, so many people who found them really stressful (myself included).
    Feeling left behind is a horrible feeling but you can easily fix it. Make a concise summary of the topics you've covered so far for your subjects, this allows you to take a step back and see exactly which areas you need to work on, and you can then look at them in more detail. You are never missing as much as you think!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks everyone. Can I PM you?
    Of course.

Bump?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    OP, I get you completely. Around this time last year during my AS I had one of my breakdowns (I cracked right in front of one of my English Lit teachers, incidentally, and started swearing at him). For about 2 months I drifted about, letting my work pile up on me a bit, doing the absolute bare minimum.
    Please, talk to your teachers. They will understand. I spoke to my form teacher and my Religion teacher as well, and they were really understanding. I ended up doing really well in AS once it properly dawned on me that everyone is in the same situation when it comes to A Levels; they are a challenge. Right now I'm terrified of failing my A2s but I know the work I'll put in will be worth it.

Idk if this has helped at all.

(Original post by CescaD96)
    OP, I get you completely. Around this time last year during my AS I had one of my breakdowns (I cracked right in front of one of my English Lit teachers, incidentally, and started swearing at him). For about 2 months I drifted about, letting my work pile up on me a bit, doing the absolute bare minimum.
    Please, talk to your teachers. They will understand. I spoke to my form teacher and my Religion teacher as well, and they were really understanding. I ended up doing really well in AS once it properly dawned on me that everyone is in the same situation when it comes to A Levels; they are a challenge. Right now I'm terrified of failing my A2s but I know the work I'll put in will be worth it.

Idk if this has helped at all.
    Thank you so much. I got upset in class today but the teacher ignored me. Sigh.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.