The Student Room Group

What kind of college is Hertford college?

Hi guys!!

I've received an offer to study Medicine at Hertford college, Oxford. This was my second college and so I don't know very much about it.

If there are some students here who are currently at Hertford college, I'd be really grateful for some insight into life at the college.

What's the college's reputation within the university? How are the events organised by the JCR, as in, are they fun? Is the accommodation for the 2nd and 3rd years in a convenient location according to you. Something slightly more specific, but how many tutors does Hertford have for Medicine?
Any other information beyond this will also be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks a lot!
Also interested in your answers as I'm thinking about applying to either Hertford or St Johns next year :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Viridiana
Also interested in your answers as I'm thinking about applying to either Hertford or St Johns next year :smile:

Why those two colleges, may I ask? :smile:
Original post by TazzyBoo
Why those two colleges, may I ask? :smile:

Tbh - cause for Oxford standards I'm poor like a church mouse and those two seem to be nice in terms of welfare, bursaries etc. They also generally seem quite nice, I don't remember everything I've read about them but sounded like places I'd like to live in :smile: How about you?
Reply 4
Tbh - cause for Oxford standards I'm poor like a church mouse and those two seem to be nice in terms of welfare, bursaries etc. They also generally seem quite nice, I don't remember everything I've read about them but sounded like places I'd like to live in :smile: How about you?

Oh I didn't know Hertford were good for welfare, although I know they have a rather generous book grant for clinical Medicine! For Medicine, we're interviewed at 2 colleges, and Hertford was my second college. I don't know too much about it actually! I know that it's supposedly one of the most friendliest colleges in Oxford, but it's also quite small and modest. I've stayed there for interviews and it's a very pretty college, although it doesn't look like a castle like some other colleges do (Christ Church, Balliol etc.)
Oh I didn't know Hertford were good for welfare, although I know they have a rather generous book grant for clinical Medicine! For Medicine, we're interviewed at 2 colleges, and Hertford was my second college. I don't know too much about it actually! I know that it's supposedly one of the most friendliest colleges in Oxford, but it's also quite small and modest. I've stayed there for interviews and it's a very pretty college, although it doesn't look like a castle like some other colleges do (Christ Church, Balliol etc.)

Well I've read somewhere that students from the lowest income families get a 1000 pounds/year bursary - hope it's true! :smile: There is also this beauty in Hertford! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_of_Sighs_%28Oxford%29
Reply 6
Well I've read somewhere that students from the lowest income families get a 1000 pounds/year bursary - hope it's true! :smile: There is also this beauty in Hertford! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_of_Sighs_%28Oxford%29

Ah yes, it's beautiful! Which subject will you be applying for?
Reply 7
Here is a map:

Currently I'm thinking of Computer Science & Philosophy although I have no idea if I will be able to reach the required Math results... So we shall see :wink:
Reply 9
Hi guys!!

I've received an offer to study Medicine at Hertford college, Oxford. This was my second college and so I don't know very much about it.

If there are some students here who are currently at Hertford college, I'd be really grateful for some insight into life at the college.

What's the college's reputation within the university? How are the events organised by the JCR, as in, are they fun? Is the accommodation for the 2nd and 3rd years in a convenient location according to you. Something slightly more specific, but how many tutors does Hertford have for Medicine?
Any other information beyond this will also be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks a lot!

Hertford was my first choice college because its small, but also really friendly. The undergrads described it was "The best college in oxford..... but a tiny bit **** in the nicest possible way. You don't have a reputation for being pretentious like some other colleges (magdalen and trinity apparently) and everyone is down to earth and friendly" It doesn't feel as claustrophobic to me as Jesus for example did. Its 7th in the Norrington table as far as I can see which is pretty good. The location is amazing, you literally step outside and into the bodleain library. Most of your questions you'll find answers to on the website, I'm a biochemist not a medic so I wouldn't know the latter :/
Reply 10

I just found their accommodation website, which is quite detailed compared to other colleges. Postgrad rooms look amazing on the river!

http://www.hertford.ox.ac.uk/my-hertford/accommodation/college-properties
Reply 11
Original post by Abi790
Hertford was my first choice college because its small, but also really friendly. The undergrads described it was "The best college in oxford..... but a tiny bit **** in the nicest possible way. You don't have a reputation for being pretentious like some other colleges (magdalen and trinity apparently) and everyone is down to earth and friendly" It doesn't feel as claustrophobic to me as Jesus for example did. Its 7th in the Norrington table as far as I can see which is pretty good. The location is amazing, you literally step outside and into the bodleain library. Most of your questions you'll find answers to on the website, I'm a biochemist not a medic so I wouldn't know the latter :/

Hi! Thanks for replying!! Sounds like the college has great community spirit :smile: Are you studying at Hertford currently?
Reply 12
Original post by Josb
I just found their accommodation website, which is quite detailed compared to other colleges. Postgrad rooms look amazing on the river!

http://www.hertford.ox.ac.uk/my-hertford/accommodation/college-properties

Thanks for replying! I've had a look at some of Hertford's accommodation and it looks great. It's a bit of a shame that most 2nd and 3rd years can't be housed at the (very pretty) college site itself, but otherwise the Warnock house accomodation looks really good and relatively central too!
Reply 13
It is really friendly and it is really small. And I am afraid the food situation is not too good :c
But there are cats, and it is really friendly. It's nice to live close to everyone else and be able to wander over and always be bumping into people. I feel like the tutors are friendly too. It's also very well situated. There is a kebab van not five minutes away.
Currently I'm thinking of Computer Science & Philosophy although I have no idea if I will be able to reach the required Math results... So we shall see :wink:

Yes you definitely should :biggrin: It is the bestest course. And you should come do it at Hertford because the CompPhils are Hertford are the most cool and lovely people.
Reply 14
Original post by MJasper
It is really friendly and it is really small. And I am afraid the food situation is not too good :c
But there are cats, and it is really friendly. It's nice to live close to everyone else and be able to wander over and always be bumping into people. I feel like the tutors are friendly too. It's also very well situated. There is a kebab van not five minutes away.

Oh no! It's a bit of a shame about the food situation - I stayed at Hertford for my interviews and felt that the food wasn't very nice most days.

Do most of Hertford's accommodation have kitchens? What about ensuite bathrooms?

Is there very much inter-year interaction (I understand that most 2nd and 3rd years live off site, so wouldn't that mean that 1st years tend to stay amongst themselves?)
Reply 15
Oh no! It's a bit of a shame about the food situation - I stayed at Hertford for my interviews and felt that the food wasn't very nice most days.

Do most of Hertford's accommodation have kitchens? What about ensuite bathrooms?

Is there very much inter-year interaction (I understand that most 2nd and 3rd years live off site, so wouldn't that mean that 1st years tend to stay amongst themselves?)

You won't have ensuite rooms in your first year. That's the con of living in the old quad! From their website, there are 10 kitchens in the old buildings.
Original post by MJasper

Yes you definitely should :biggrin: It is the bestest course. And you should come do it at Hertford because the CompPhils are Hertford are the most cool and lovely people.

Why? Are you on this course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abi790
...The location is amazing, you literally step outside and into the bodleain library...

or the Turf Tavern :cheers:
Central location, famous as it's where the Bridge of Sighs is at.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending