Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am i doing enough revision to get the top grades? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am taking my GCSE's this year... Two weeks ago I got my mock results back- CCCCCCCDU and im very disappointed, in the last two weeks I've made a plan and I've been studying for an extra 30 hours per week of constructive revision- mygcse science vids, post it notes, flash cards, mind maps etc and im already making some progress... If i keep it up, is getting a lot of A*'s possible in the end goal? Or shall I do more? Did you drastically improve from your mock results? Thanks for your feedback...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigpaddy27)
    Hello, I am taking my GCSE's this year... Two weeks ago I got my mock results back- CCCCCCCDU and im very disappointed, in the last two weeks I've made a plan and I've been studying for an extra 30 hours per week of constructive revision- mygcse science vids, post it notes, flash cards, mind maps etc and im already making some progress... If i keep it up, is getting a lot of A*'s possible in the end goal? Or shall I do more? Did you drastically improve from your mock results? Thanks for your feedback...
    Completely depends on the person, many can get all A*s with far less work but overall that sounds like a good amount to do. A*s prefectly possible for you as long as you revise well and can apply it in the exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much- I'm not naturally academic- therefore I would not be able to obtain those grades as easy as some! I'll carry on with my original work load.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you keep organised and motivated you WILL get that A* you want, for Science your using a good method to revise/study but if you really want to extend yourself to get higher grades try doing past papers but only when you think you know every topic inside out. You should also get a revision guide to make notes on specifically from the exam border e.g. AQA, Edexcel etc since, there's more detail to make you understand things more, there's questions as well and it's going to give you an idea of how the questions in your exams are going to be like. However, make sure you don't over stress yourself or your mind wont work properly. Your doing enough right now to get high grades but try and secure the grades you want by following my advice.

You also said that you test your self using flashcards, that's good but why don't you get someone e.g. a parent or someone who doesn't know much at all about the science topics your doing? This would require you to explain in a much more detailed way to make the person understand it more which means your recapping on more things so you'll remember more. Try using revision websites too like bitesize which would provide backround information which could be quite significant in your exams. Most important of all, don't be a surface learner but be a deep learner. Someone who just doesn't memorize the topic, but learns the whole thing inside out.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for you advice and I shall follow it- I found looking at a few past papers- I really do need to know the topics inside out! Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have you analysed why you got those marks?

Were there things you didn't understand on the papers or did you just not know the answers in enough detail?

Or did you not finish the papers ?- an easy way to lose marks. Did you read through the paper and make sure you didn't forget to do all the questions?

You need to be brutally honest with yourself about where you fell down. Have you looked at your papers and seen where you lost marks? Have you asked your teachers ?

Exam technique - making sure you don't spend too long on the early questions so you don't have enough time to finish the paper. Checking how many marks there are for the question you're answering and have you counted the points you have made to equal the number of marks?

Read the examiners' reports which will tell you exactly what they are looking for.
    and where people go wrong. Available from the exam boards

Most people get poor marks because they just haven't revised properly and just don't know the content .Most 'clever' people spend a hell of a long time working to get that way.

Go through all the subjects you are studying and make a plan of when, which day you are going to cover what upto the day of the exam to make sure you have time to fit everything in. You are doing a lot of subjects so ruthless planning is essential. Make sure you have planned to revise everything at least 3 times. You will have to amend your plan as you test yourself. You may well need more time than you think. You will be guided not by the number of hours you spend each week but the result ie by how well you are learning .

( Incidentally I don't know which subject you got a U in but something really catastrophic happened there - what?)

Don't think there's no point starting revision now because you'll forget it all by the time the exams start.

If you are not at school be at your work everyday by 8.30. Work in 20-30 minute chunks, then 10 mins off. Have at least an hour off for lunch then another session from say 2-5 then say 2 hours off and then a session 7-10.

No late nights.

No staying in bed till 11/12 on Saturdays and Sundays. These are work days.

No going off on holiday at Easter. You can go on holiday for weeks after your exams.

So for most subjects get packs of revision cards and write down the main points you need to remember on them. Say 5 points per card. Keep looking at the card then try and say the points out loud from memory until you're perfect. No cheating.

NO CHEATING

Just writing out the cards will help you to memorise them but the main benefit is that the night before an exam/ the morning before, you can get out the cards and wizz through them to get your mind ready for the exam.

Don't make cups of coffee, watch television, day dream and think that time counts as revision - it doesn't. Go somewhere absolutely quiet to revise - your bedroom say, somewhere where you can repeat things out loud without people thinking you're mad!

Not the kitchen with people wandering through, not the living room with the TV on, not your friends house ( you'll chat).

Another trick - if there are certain things you're frightened you'll forget look at them just before you go into the exam and write them down immediately you start

Be quiet and concentrate on the topics you need to remember before an exam - don't chat away with friends it will distract you.

People who do well in exams face them with the knowledge that they have done the work. This gives them a lot of confidence and they don't therefore get panicky before the exam, Rather their mind set is ---yippee another chance to prove to everyone just how great I am!

This should be your aim.

ReputationRep:
    Repped. That advice was golden!

ReputationRep:
    Wow- your advice is really appreciated! My U was due to the fact that I had a very bad cold on the day however that's still not a good enough reason- I failed never the less... I shall cut down on my bed times and I spend almost all of my time revising- I am going to buy some revision cards as I only have facts on my post- it notes, at Present... I really want to prove people wrong and following you advice maybe I shall be able to grasp that success which I will have deserved! Thank you again- I really do appreciate it... Re- definitely the hardest to revise, who agrees?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I know this may sound silly, but please don't burn yourself out! Whilst it is absolutely fantastic that you are putting in so much effort, it is still only January and by April-June you could end up having tired yourself out completely!
    Your attitude towards your grades is brilliant though, and it is important that you do work.

Here are some of my tips:

1. Make notes after every lesson. You can do this by using a textbook, doing research or using a revision website. Any of these resources help majorly!

2. Plan your time carefully. There is no point in going to bed at three and waking up at seven absolutely exhausted because you've stayed up so long revising, although at the same time going to bed at eight without doing any work is not a good idea at all! Give yourself breaks, and work up your revision time as you get closer to the exams.

3. If you don't understand anything- ask. I regret not doing this hugely as it caused me to panic so many times before my exams! Even if you think it is the most trivial of questions, your teachers are there to help. Take full advantage of the help they can give you!

4. When you make revision material, make sure they suit you. I learn through colour, and though it takes a lot of time to make coloured revision notes, posters etc. it's worth it. I find that colour sticks in my head, and there is no point in just copying out things word for word from your classwork!

5. I love your idea of revision flashcards- continue with that! It helps so much and you can use them anywhere

6. Find where you work best. It may be in your bedroom, in your dining room, the lounge, in a library, in a study centre- anywhere. Everyone thinks this is madness, although I work best in my living room as I do not work well in silence- my mind wanders! This doesn't suit everyone but it does suit me, and that's why it's important to find out where suits you best! Also, if you can avoid working with your friends then I would definitely recommend it. Unless you can guarantee that you will not end up going off topic, it won't work!

I hope I've helped you These are the tips that I followed when sitting my GCSEs earlier this year, and I got 14A*s. If you want anymore advice just ask! I'm sure you'll do fabulously in your exams later this year- your work ethic is something to definitely be admired!

ReputationRep:
    My biology teacher at school told us that one of his a level students from last year was so far behind and doing so badly. She was actually predicted a U. then she was told that revising from past papers really really really helps so she decided to try that out. She answered all the questions in timed conditions and the questions she found difficult, she revised the whole topic in great detail, then went back to answering it again, without looking. She aimed to complete the same practice paper 2-3 times until she got full marks. she did the whole procedure again with other subjects too. guess what she got in her final biology exam? an A*!!! from a U? it is possible if you push yourself and believe you can do it. if a low achieving a level student can get an A*, why not a GCSE student?
    My whole point of telling you this is that just revise past papers; they're worth it aim to do at least 3 a week and carry on doing your revision stategies that you're using now as they're great! i'm sure you'll get an A* if you push yourself so hard until you can't go any further

ReputationRep:
    You can get the grades you want but you'll have to work really hard. Make sure you don't burn yourself out though- before mocks I started the christmas holidays doing 8 hours a day and at the end I could only bear to do 3-4.
    My pieces of advice are:

1) Make sure you know the specification back to front. GCSEs don't require very much ability- some people will find them harder than others but with hard work anyone can get all A* even. You're in a bit of a tricky situation in the way that you're starting quite late but you can probably get the grades that you want if you focus 100% on school.

2) I know the flashcards will be good for you in the future but make sure you don't waste too much time writing them- it'll take a really long time and actually knowing them will help you more. You could try writing notes on one topic and then learning that topic really really well so you don't leave things til too late.

3) There are 4 months til GCSEs so not long. This means you need to finish learning a subject completely about once every two weeks. With your grades I'm guessing that you don't quite have a completely thorough knowledge of the subjects so try and prioritize one subject until you finish it, and then move onto the next. Obviously refresh yourself from time to time on the stuff you've learnt but once you've learnt a subject its 1/9 done so it'll make everything a bit more manageable.

4) Once you finish a subject do loads of past papers. It'll get you familiar with the mark scheme and exam technique. It'll also show you which areas might still need a bit more revision. If you have time try and get to a point where youre getting about 10% above the A* grade in most of your papers to ensure you get a top mark.

I hope this helps and good luck

ReputationRep:
    Mocks arent that accurate. I've literally got A/b/c's and ive done early entry gcse and i've got 2a*s and 2a's achieved already, so i feel more capable than b's and c's. let it motivate you, but you'll probably do better in the real exams

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone- thanks for your kind words of Wisdom, I will use all of your advice and cherry pick out the suggestions which suite me the most- I have changed my whole life over the last month going from things that I'm not proud of to solely studying and revising as hard as I can to prove people wrong! I hope it pays off and all of your advice will really help me in making sure I have done everything I could have possibly done to get those results !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Finally someone who's posted this

I got similar grades to you

My mock results - A*ABBCCCCCF I regret not revising

I am expected all As and A*s but mainly A*s

Is it still possible for me I am very motivated and have started today

But the way your grades aren't that bad you've passed most things which is a great sign enough constructive revision should do it hopefully for me to x

ReputationRep:
    A jo

H

ReputationRep:
    Hey^^ if you follow the advice that's on this thread- I'm positive that you will get a large string of A's and A*'s as I'm hoping to achieve them grades!

Using the revision cards has been the best trick for me so far- especially for formulas such as remembering the quadratic formula etc!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    On top of all your content revision, do as many practice papers as you possibly can. Have notes with you for the first few you do and work through making sure you understand what certain questions ask for and you'll start to spot patterns. Then do papers without notes. Then do timed papers without notes. If you can nail your exam technique as well as the content knowledge, you'll breeze it! Trust me! And don't worry, I have a friend at A level who got an E in her maths mock in January and then straight As in all the maths exams in June.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Mock results do NOT always reflect what you will get in the real thing, so dont worry.
    and its not about the amount of revision you do, its about the quality and the consolidation. covering topics once in revision will never work, they need to be covered loads over a long period of time and keep being brought back up.

Here are some of the things I like to do and which have been really effective for me:
    *question card: using record cards (cheap from staples, ASDA, ryman etc.) I write questions on one side (not just one question on each card, but many) and the answers on the back and test myself whenever I can and as much as I can. this helps for science as well as history and geography as it allows you to be able to recite the specification word for word and answer pretty much any question. <-- THESE TOTALLY SAVED MY LIFE AT GCSE!!! you can also make them for definitions too, as well as equations and for languages you can write the english on one side the the french for example on the other.
    *mind maps: condensing a whole topic onto a mind map, usually A3 works the best, and then sticking this on the wall to revise from everyday. this helps you consolidate as well as get everything you need to know in once place.
    *past papers: *ESSENTIAL* do as many as you can and preferably as close to the exam as possible, make sure you mark them all and go over everything you got wrong. this helps to put into practice what you have learnt and learn from mistakes.

You need to be doing active revision which requires your brain to think, flash cards with just notes on do not make your brain think, they just allow you to read things rather than force you to dig deep in your brain to find the answers.
    also make a revision timetable (dont plan too far ahead, so like a 2 weekly one???) and stick to it as much as you can.
    hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys thanks for your advice- Past papers seem to be a common agenda! I guess they are extremely important and I never really have done too many- I don't have a printer atm and my state school charges an extortionate price for paper... But I will invest in a printer... I have a revision plan which shows a weeks worth of revision and I follow that same plan- week by week... I already after 1 week and a half revising feel like I know so much more than I did but meh it's early days! Thanks again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys thanks for your advice- Past papers seem to be a common agenda! I guess they are extremely important and I never really have done too many- I don't have a printer atm and my state school charges an extortionate price for paper... But I will invest in a printer... I have a revision plan which shows a weeks worth of revision and I follow that same plan- week by week... I already after 1 week and a half revising feel like I know so much more than I did but meh it's early days! Thanks again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you don't really need to even print the past papers out, I normally don't bother, just have the questionsup on your screen and do it on lined paper, then get the mark scheme up on your screen and mark it. It's just as easy and doesn't require the purchase of a printer!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.