Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Technically Obese (but not fat) - BMI inaccuracies Watch

ReputationRep:
    A new year a new me, and all that jazz.

I jumped on a friends scales whilst having a few drinks last weekend and was genuinely shocked to see my weight hit the dizzy heights of 17st 3lbs! - and blaming it on faulty scales wouldn't work as I tried another set and got the same reading.

I am a 6ft 2" stocky male, I have a bit beer belly, but I would never and have never been described as "fat" or "overweight", I could be fitter of late but have very big thigh muscles and have always been relatively strong.

My BMI read 31 - OBESE.

Has anyone got any insight as to why this is, and am I really that much heavier than I ought to be?

ReputationRep:
    Ditch BMI, it's for losers.
    If you know your lean mass and you're satisfied with it, you've got nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard a few people say that before, by lean mass do you mean body fat %age?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GhengisKaan)
    I've heard a few people say that before, by lean mass do you mean body fat %age?
    Lean mass = weight of your muscles, though body fat % is directly linked

ReputationRep:
    My BMI is 36. BMI is stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    BMI is crap, but you've just said yourself you're carrying too much.

You weigh almost 110kg and you haven't mentioned that you've been lifting regularly for a number of years. Chances are your waist size is probably nearing or above the mid 30s and your body fat percentage is pushing 30%. I have quite a few male 'stocky' rugby player type builds (similar height, 20-22" shoulders) but if any of them got to 110kg without lifting (some of them are getting there after getting injured) I would almost certainly say they were pretty fat.

Sometimes it isn't nice to hear but there's little point in sitting in denial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.