Turn on thread page Beta

What happens when you do strength instead of cardio when you're overweight? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I hate cardio with a passion, but I know it is best for weight loss. However, I don't mind strength. I've never done it on it's own - I've always paired it with cardio.

Do you burn any calories whatsoever with strength? Is there any point doing it without cardio when you're overweight, as a form of exercise?

I'm just trying really hard to find a form of exercise that I can sustain because I enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    You become a strongman or a powerlifter.

ReputationRep:
    I never do cardio and I recompose my body from 200lbs down to 180lbs every year for the summer, every year looking bigger and leaner. You burn more calories doing weights than cardio IMO.

ReputationRep:
    doing strength training will burn calories and is a way to lose weight. You will use up calories when you are actually lifting the weights but as you build muscle your body's metabolism also increases so you will burn more calories when you aren't exercising. But whether you or doing cardio or strength you are gunna need some determination. No exercise is gunna be easy and completely enjoyable so my advice rather than focusing on looking for an enjoyable exercise, just knuckle down and do some exercise. Anything is better than none.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You'll lose weight if you're in a calorific deficit

It doesn't matter what exercise you do (if any) to lose weight

There's always a point to lift

ReputationRep:
    You'll build muscle, which requires more calories to maintain, which means you're stronger, so can build more muscle, and burn more calories...

you see where I'm going!

ReputationRep:
    Yes someone above me is right, any weight lifting is going to burn calories, technically speaking a 30 stone man could get down to 12 stone without doing one bit of cardio, yet you will find you'll lose weight the quickest whilst doing both, and by cardio I don't mean cycling at a pathetic pace for 30 minutes or a casual row I mean short intense bursts of cardio with 30 seconds rest in between, 6-7 times. This will do more for your heart and more for burning off calories quickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.