Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of doing it along with Biology and History until I started hearing it's a real challenge, even for those who found it easy during GCSE. So is it really that tough, or am I just hearing over exaggerated opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sat Nav)
    I was thinking of doing it along with Biology and History until I started hearing it's a real challenge, even for those who found it easy during GCSE. So is it really that tough, or am I just hearing over exaggerated opinions?
    I did it at AS and it is very different to GCSE which I didn't consider when taking it haha. It is difficult but I think if you put the effort into it you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    First module for me definitely is more challenging than GCSE but very achievable in reality. The second module I'm only just starting and it looks a lot harder but I'm sure its manageable.

I'm OCR by the way

ReputationRep:
    I guess if you don't really like studying or prefer doing the bare minimum then you will find Chemistry the hardest (it's probably the easiest subject to get lost if you miss a topic)

But if you read textbooks/revision guides before and after lessons even just for a short while then it really won't be that hard. It's a very simple and beautiful subject once you get into it. Make sure you listen in class and complete homework.

If you lose motivation to study a-levels, Chemistry will probably bring you down the most.

edit: Did AQA AS last year, doing A2 now.

ReputationRep:
    I do AQA and while it's tough, and very different to GCSE chem, it's not impossible. If you're logical and interested in the subject, it won't be impossible. There's a lot of new concepts to learn in the first term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sat Nav)
    Hi, I'm doing chemistry, biology and history at A2. I got an A in all three at As. I'm not going to lie it is tough (100% harder than GCSE) and I've had moments when I've thought holy crap I'm going to fail, but if u work really hard the entire year and make sure that by the time it comes to your exam You understand everything and know how to do exam questions (by doing past papers) then I guess you should be okay. But I'm not expert, just talking from personal experience.

Best of luck with your studies!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying it at A2 and I got a B in AS. I admit I sometimes have to put extra effort into chemistry because it is difficult. I think the worst thing is that there is so much to learn that you sometimes get bogged down trying to learn everything without actually understanding what is going on.
    It is tough but you'll be able to manage if you put the work in. It is very different to GCSE so it would be good to ask teachers about what you will learn and maybe get some A-level questions to practice?
    If you do all this and think you'll enjoy it then go for it

ReputationRep:
    I love Chemistry!
    Its so good! Currently doing it at AS

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.