Turn on thread page Beta

ICF Timing Issues watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I've been doing ICF with the correct timings (almost) between each session. E.g one on, one off (monday, wednesday etc etc). From next week I wont be able to do this bcus of limited time. So I was wondering if its sensible to follow the same programme but do 2 days in a row, then a day gap then the 3rd session.

So example: Thursday, Friday then Sunday

Is this the right way to go about it? Any advice is appreciated.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Tracking)
    So I've been doing ICF with the correct timings (almost) between each session. E.g one on, one off (monday, wednesday etc etc). From next week I wont be able to do this bcus of limited time. So I was wondering if its sensible to follow the same programme but do 2 days in a row, then a day gap then the 3rd session.

So example: Thursday, Friday then Sunday

Is this the right way to go about it? Any advice is appreciated.
    It's manageable if you've just started the programme, but isn't manageable in the long term: you need the rest to manage the high frequency of squats and higher volume.

A better idea, if you're at the stage of really needing the full day's recovery, is to take 2 days rest if that fits in with your schedule. So e.g. Monday rest rest Thursday rest Saturday rest rest Tuesday...better to have 1 extra day of rest than no rest at all. You just have to find a way to make it fit with your schedule.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    It's manageable if you've just started the programme, but isn't manageable in the long term: you need the rest to manage the high frequency of squats and higher volume.

A better idea, if you're at the stage of really needing the full day's recovery, is to take 2 days rest if that fits in with your schedule. So e.g. Monday rest rest Thursday rest Saturday rest rest Tuesday...better to have 1 extra day of rest than no rest at all. You just have to find a way to make it fit with your schedule.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm pretty sure I'm close to peaking on a few of my 5x5's so that might be an issue soon. Do you think dropping squats on one session on the back to back days is a good idea just to make it more manageable?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm pretty sure I'm close to peaking on a few of my 5x5's so that might be an issue soon. Do you think dropping squats on one session on the back to back days is a good idea just to make it more manageable?
    You could, but at that point it's no longer ICF 5x5 and is a variant programme.

People are really anal about sticking to the programme, but you're not a professional athlete, so there's no problems with doing whatever the hell you want, really. Dropping squats when you have to gym on a recurring day is fine, but some of your other lifts might still suffer a bit - OHP following bench day, for example!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    You could, but at that point it's no longer ICF 5x5 and is a variant programme.

People are really anal about sticking to the programme, but you're not a professional athlete, so there's no problems with doing whatever the hell you want, really. Dropping squats when you have to gym on a recurring day is fine, but some of your other lifts might still suffer a bit - OHP following bench day, for example!
    Yeah, I'll give it a try I think. I haven't got a choice lol. Thanks for the help!

ReputationRep:
    Just train twice next week. One missed session means sweet Fanny Adams in the grand scheme whereas the risk of injury when fatigued (something a back to back ICF 5x5 will almost certainly make you) is increased.

Maslow's hierarchy of needs init, sometimes other **** is more important in life than the gym.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Just train twice next week. One missed session means sweet Fanny Adams in the grand scheme whereas the risk of injury when fatigued (something a back to back ICF 5x5 will almost certainly make you) is increased.

Maslow's hierarchy of needs init, sometimes other **** is more important in life than the gym.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's true but it's not just for a week - it's from now on until the next hols. I might just do something else on the 2nd day of back to back days, not fully body. Idk.

ReputationRep:
    That's true but it's not just for a week - it's from now on until the next hols. I might just do something else on the 2nd day of back to back days, not fully body. Idk.
    If it's for that considerable a time you need to consider another routine. Something like a horizontal, legs, vertical/push, legs, pull would be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.