Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Saudi blogger gets 10 years in prison + 1000 lashes for "Insulting Islam" watch

ReputationRep:
    when will this madness top? :no:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-30744693

Raif Badawi, who was sentenced to 1,000 lashes and 10 years in jail, was flogged 50 times. The flogging will be carried out weekly, campaigners say.

Mr Badawi, the co-founder of a now banned website called the Liberal Saudi Network, was arrested in 2012.

Rights groups condemned his conviction and the US appealed for clemency.
    http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/saudi-...slam-1.1438732

Saudi blogger Raef Badawi was flogged in public on Friday near a mosque in Jeddah, receiving 50 lashes for “insulting Islam”, witnesses said.

In September, a Saudi court upheld a sentence of 10 years in prison and 1,000 lashes for Badawi, and he is expected to have 20 weekly whipping sessions until his punishment is complete.

The United States, Amnesty International and Reporters Without Borders have denounced the flogging as a horrific form of punishment, and said Badawi was exercising his right to freedom of expression.

Witnesses said that Badawi, 30, was flogged after the weekly Friday prayers near Al Jafali mosque as a crowd of worshippers looked on.

ReputationRep:
    It is a backwards ****hole country. It lacks even the most basic human rights.

Religion and government should never be combined.

ReputationRep:
    hi beautx since you live in saudi can you tell us your thoughts on this? do you know if the public supports stuff like this or is it just government?

(Original post by beautifulxxx)
    I'll probably get this question asked a lot(No boasting intended) so I'll just answer it in one go here insha'Allah.
    Saudi Arabia is absolutely amazing alhamdulilah a dream come true. I mean I came out of the airport, missing the UK, and what do I see? A beautiful masjid I knew from that moment that I was home. May Allah make it easy for all of you to come here one day. Ameen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...es-raif-badawi

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/saudi-arabi...lashes-1463886

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middle...120952108.html

Raif Badawi set up a website for Saudis to discuss liberal interpretations of Islam and has been accused of ridiculing religious figures and and undermining general security.

He has also been charged a fine of around £266,000.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Ignoring what a cesspit the place is, I'm literally wondering if it's even feasible to whip someone that much even during 20 weeks, 50 lashes a week, if these lashes are fairly powerful whips to the back that's going to end up having them probably die of infection from consistently open wounds, or are the lashes different in style?

Dangerous business insulting the religion of peace, suppose he should consider himself lucky he's even alive, I imagine a public vote would have had crowds roaring with delight while he was hung in Saudi's execution "chop chop" square...

ReputationRep:
    Could have happened in North Korea, there's something those two have in common in their structures.

ReputationRep:
    Could have been worse in Nazy Germany, USSR or even North Korea but there are definitely similarities on how to deal with anyone stepping out of line.

DISCLAIMER: the above reference to NK is the sole responsibility of the author and TSR cannot be held accountable for it. For illustrative purposes only, no connection with any living characters.

ReputationRep:
    No surprises there.

(Original post by zhog)
    Could have been worse in Nazy Germany, USSR or even North Korea but there are definitely similarities on how to deal with anyone stepping out of line.

DISCLAIMER: the above reference to NK is the sole responsibility of the author and TSR cannot be held accountable for it. For illustrative purposes only, no connection with any living characters.
    Unless you're actually from NK I don't think you need to worry about putting in a disclaimer on an internet forum.

ReputationRep:
    And this country is one of our allies in the fight against Islamist terrorism in the Middle East.

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait for the day we develop reliable renewable energy, so we don't have to cosy up to these sort of countries anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Well if he lives in Saudi Arabia then he should know the law, it was foolish of him to write things that is against the law.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    He knows the laws of the country you would have to be stupid to do this it must be a publicity stunt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhog)
    Could have happened in North Korea, there's something those two have in common in their structures.
    I have been to NK and it's nothing like people have described

ReputationRep:
    Complete mockery of the religion they strive to follow. His wife and 3 kids are however safe as they live in Canada. Tragic news still.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lent6)
    Was the grapefruit real?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jebedee)
    Was the grapefruit real?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depends what you mean by real?

ReputationRep:
    Terrible news, but it is fairly common in countries like this, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lent6)
    That would only matter if they let you explore the country by yourself. You think they would show you how it actually is? You are underestimating their propaganda. The fact that you are saying this shows that it's working to some extent, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by profivankov)
    That would only matter if they let you explore the country by yourself. You think they would show you how it actually is? You are underestimating their propaganda. The fact that you are saying this shows that it's working to some extent, lol.
    I got to explore any where I wanted to though. It wasn't a controlled tour that people say happens when you visit north korea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lent6)
    Depends what you mean by real?
    Not made of plastic I guess,

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.