The Student Room Group

Falling out with a high school friend..?

We have known each other for seven years and now we ended up at the same university. That was honestly the last thing I wanted because I hated high school and all I wanted was a fresh start at uni.
I do really love some friends and will always cherish them. I've been through a lot with this friend too and although we've had some amazing times, I think I've really grown out of her. All she is interested in is petty drama and bitching.
Now that we're at the same uni, she's dragging high school with her and she tries to involve me in all the unnecessary drama about people we barely know. I feel so obligated to spend time with her and I do actually feel guilty that I neglected her for a while in the first few weeks of uni just so I can get out of my comfort zone and meet new people. If anything, she has moved on and found some great friends while I didn't get so lucky with flatmates etc, so I have to try harder.
I told myself that I'd make more of an effort this semester and at least try to be civil with her, but out of nowhere she starts attacking me and declaring how little she cares about me in front of all our home friends. It's so uncomfortable and it hurts, even though I don't consider us very close. I just asked her up front what all the sudden drama is about but she just keeps ambushing me and embarrassing me in front of everyone without explaining why.

I think we're slowly falling out, and as much as I wanted distance from her and to be at a different university, I know that I have to accept it and at least try to maintain a civil relationship with her while we're here. But she's making that super difficult right now and it's changing the dynamic of all our friendships back home.

How do I cope with this? What do I do???
Reply 1
I think you should tell her the truth and not let it bother you to much I've had many friends like this and you've just gotta be civil, don't bother being bitchy back, just carry on with your life and let me do what they want,she will soon understand, you never know you two might become friends again in the future

Charley x
I know it's easier said than done, but you've got to distance yourself from your friend. Have you joined societies at uni? Its a great way of meeting new people, and eventually forming new friendships. These will be probably be people your friend doesnt know and that way you can have your own social group without her being there.
Reply 3
Yeah, I know its all to do with what you want because there's no point just following what other people say, go with your gut feeling its always best and oh okay thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by JackBlack
I know it's easier said than done, but you've got to distance yourself from your friend. Have you joined societies at uni? Its a great way of meeting new people, and eventually forming new friendships. These will be probably be people your friend doesnt know and that way you can have your own social group without her being there.

I joined like one or two but haven't really been involved or kept up with events, but I know I should. Thank you! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by winnie101
I think you should tell her the truth and not let it bother you to much I've had many friends like this and you've just gotta be civil, don't bother being bitchy back, just carry on with your life and let me do what they want,she will soon understand, you never know you two might become friends again in the future

Charley x

I guess cause I'm so used to her it's bugging me this much, but it also makes me miserable and being around new people makes me feel so refreshed. Yeah I'm trying not to pay too much attention to all the crap she says. Thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 6
Proberly, but what's the worst that can happen? Its fine honestly

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending