The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Queen Mary English Interview

Scroll to see replies

I've applied for both English and history too and I was only asked about English, since my interviewer was an English professor. I still spoke about history though. Anyway, hope it goes well.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by Zenny_x
I had my interview for English at Queen Mary today and it's nothing to worry about. My interviewer went through my personal statement and asked my opinions on the books I had written about. So just make sure you know your PS well. Although I know that others who had an interview today were asked to analyse text/poerty but that just depends on who's interviewing you. Hope this helps.

What did the interviewer ask you concerning the books mentioned in your personal statement? Also how long does the day last and what did you wear?
I've got an English interview tomorrow! I'm more worried about getting there than the actual interview but it will be good to look around the campus and have a taster lecture!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What sort of questions do they ask?? I'm worried I don't know my texts well enough to give impressive answers :/
Original post by student00701
What sort of questions do they ask?? I'm worried I don't know my texts well enough to give impressive answers :/

Definitely revise your texts, even if it's just revising the plot and character names on the way there! My interview was very informal, just a 15 minute chat about my personal statement and why I wanted to study my subject & why Queen Mary. Some people had to look at texts for 5 minutes and talk about them but it's completely dependent on which interviewer you get. It's really nothing to worry about though! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sophia2510
I've got an English interview tomorrow! I'm more worried about getting there than the actual interview but it will be good to look around the campus and have a taster lecture!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi how did your interview go?
Original post by paigeknight94
I have an English one on the fourth too! I know there's going to be a one on one interview but I've also seen some applicants have had a group discussion with an assessor watching on? If anyone has experienced this pleeeease let know how it was

hi how did your interview go?
How long till QM makes a decision about your application after the inteview. I had my interview on the 4th yesterday. Has anyone heard back?
Reply 28
Original post by izzie brown
What did the interviewer ask you concerning the books mentioned in your personal statement? Also how long does the day last and what did you wear?

I was asked about what I thought of the characters and the author. I wore a dress but you don't have to dress formal as it's relatively informal, some people even wore jeans :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by Nininho20
How long till QM makes a decision about your application after the inteview. I had my interview on the 4th yesterday. Has anyone heard back?

They usually say within two weeks, I heard back in a week.
Now that I've had my interview, let me put everybody at ease and tell them what it's all about:

You meet your interviewer and they'll just generally have a chat with you about something on your statement. For me, it was the EPQ. She asked me about what texts I would be looking at in relation to the topic, and we were just exchanging ideas.

Then, she asked me about Marxism and feminism and how these theories have changed the way I view literature (I mentioned it in my statement). Then she asked me about an Indian poet I talked about, and we discussed that too!

So it's literally just a discussion, and no grilling you whatsoever! If anything, I think they probably just want to verify anything extraordinary on your statement. Just so they know you weren't making it up and that you actually know what you're talking about 😂

And that's all, really! Anymore questions and I'd be happy to answer them!
Original post by tellmeimmageek
Now that I've had my interview, let me put everybody at ease and tell them what it's all about:

You meet your interviewer and they'll just generally have a chat with you about something on your statement. For me, it was the EPQ. She asked me about what texts I would be looking at in relation to the topic, and we were just exchanging ideas.

Then, she asked me about Marxism and feminism and how these theories have changed the way I view literature (I mentioned it in my statement). Then she asked me about an Indian poet I talked about, and we discussed that too!

So it's literally just a discussion, and no grilling you whatsoever! If anything, I think they probably just want to verify anything extraordinary on your statement. Just so they know you weren't making it up and that you actually know what you're talking about ������

And that's all, really! Anymore questions and I'd be happy to answer them!

I 100% agree and just popped in to put some minds to rest! The interview is genuinely just a discussion of your personal statement/future plans and the interviewers are lovely. It definitely made me want to go should I be accepted!

I wish you all the best! :wink:
I had an interview for English with Film Studies on February 11th. I thought it went really well at the time but they said they would reply within 2 weeks. It's been exactly 14 days now. Should I be worried? Or maybe email them? Did anyone else take this long to receive a reply? Thanks
Original post by rubygrace
I had an interview for English with Film Studies on February 11th. I thought it went really well at the time but they said they would reply within 2 weeks. It's been exactly 14 days now. Should I be worried? Or maybe email them? Did anyone else take this long to receive a reply? Thanks

I'm 99% sure you'll be hearing back from them sometime this week or even on monday. I had my Interview for English Lit on the 4th of february and my offer came two weeks and 1 day afterwards. Keep checking your MySis, it is usualy updated before Ucas.

Best of luck.
Original post by rubygrace

Hi! I had my interview on the same day, except for straight English and I was offered a place last week. A friend I met on the day was applying for the same course as you and has already received their offer too :/ It's probably just a case of going through applications one by one, but if you hear nothing back within the next few days I'd email them for sure. Best of luck! :smile:
Original post by Nininho20
I'm 99% sure you'll be hearing back from them sometime this week or even on monday. I had my Interview for English Lit on the 4th of february and my offer came two weeks and 1 day afterwards. Keep checking your MySis, it is usualy updated before Ucas.

Best of luck.

Ahh thanks! Phew.. I thought I was the only one. What was your offer?
Original post by serenajade
Hi! I had my interview on the same day, except for straight English and I was offered a place last week. A friend I met on the day was applying for the same course as you and has already received their offer too :/ It's probably just a case of going through applications one by one, but if you hear nothing back within the next few days I'd email them for sure. Best of luck! :smile:

Thank you! My surname begins with "R" so i'm hoping i'm just at the bottom of an alphabetical pile!
Hey guys :smile: I have my interview on the 18th of March for BA English and I've read through this thread and it seems that they only seem to confirm what you wrote on your personal statement? Is that correct? :P I'm excited/nervous!!
Original post by alevels.
Hey guys :smile: I have my interview on the 18th of March for BA English and I've read through this thread and it seems that they only seem to confirm what you wrote on your personal statement? Is that correct? :P I'm excited/nervous!!

Hey I had an interview for straight English in February and seriously don't worry about it. It's like a casual chat, the prof who interviewed me was really nice and only brought up like two things on my personal statement. She also asked why i wanted to study english lit, but that was the only serious question. I also had to look at a poem and annotate it, which I was stressed about but it was cool because we just went through it. Not all students had to do that so you might not.

Seriously don't stress. My advice: be energetic/passionate and just make sure you have answers to basic q's like why English ect. Or why qmul

Good luck :smile:)
Hey, I had my interview for English on the 4th of March and all they did was confirm my personal statement, as you said. It was totally laid back and relaxed, for me. However, one of my friends had an interview the same day and he got given a poem to analyse. So just beware for the one or two super mean interviewers....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending