Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th formers, do you think you'd do better with 100% independent study? watch

ReputationRep:
    I ask this beacuse I find that I learn better learning by rote from a textbook, being a visual learner and that in lessens most of the time is just note making, which is uncomprehensive for the time we are given to write them and will have to be redone from the textbook anyway

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I would. I like teachers explaining things to me and learn better that way.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I sit in lesson and make notes im going to throw away. I suggest a system where you go into school when you want too. So there'll be a timetable of when a certain topic will be taught (meaning you'd have to look through topics first) and then you come into school for the topics you feel you need to be explained.

ReputationRep:
    no not really
    college would be so boring with no lessons

ReputationRep:
    I learn pretty much the same way you do, but I know that if I were given 100% independent study my time would NOT be well spent.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. As someone who is resitting a levels in a gap year, I am doing all independent study and I find I cover an learn so much more in the same time lessons would otherwise take. I have always preferred to sit down with the textbooks utilise my own time, taking y own breaks and learning that way by rote

ReputationRep:
    I think 100% independent study definitely would NOT work for me, even if it's just making notes out of a textbook I need the impetus from someone else.

Also, in subjects like French where we're doing a fair amount of work on skills (like translation, speaking etc.) where you can't just learn it by rote it definitely helps having the input from teachers and fellow students.

I can definitely understand why people like independent study (and for certain things, like Maths, I don't mind it) but in general I don't prefer it.

Depends on the subject, I like having a teacher in subjects like maths and chemistry as they can go into more detail and help understanding. It's also nice to have someone on standby to answer any questions. However for subjects like economics and history where you pretty much just make notes I think independent study is better.

ReputationRep:
    Although I much prefer learning by reading textbooks, I think I'd get too bored just doing that type of learning and like having a bit of variety

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    yes! i find i get really distracted in my lessons and just talk or go on my phone, and i was off sixth form for a month when i broke my ankle, and did so much more work at home in that month than i would have done if id been in sixth

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Don't think I would prefer it when I was at Sixth form. I don't think I would use my time properly, and I prefer the teachers teaching it to me, and you can at least ask questions and get answers as you are being taught rather than waiting.

I guess some times teachers could teach better than the textbooks, but I guess it depends on the subject/topic but not 100%.

ReputationRep:
    No, otherwise I wouldn't go to a sixth form college. If I thought I would be better on my own, I would just study at home. Anyone answering this thread will say the same.

ReputationRep:
    Well... that's pretty much what I did and I didn't do too badly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    No, otherwise I wouldn't go to a sixth form college. If I thought I would be better on my own, I would just study at home. Anyone answering this thread will say the same.
    That's not what independent study is. You go to a sixth form college to learn, but that can either be through rote or through your own (directed) efforts.

I find I learn a lot better through independent study because it allows me to find elements of a topic which interest me. If I don't like a part of a subject, I tend not to pay attention to it, which is obviously a disadvantage. I got around this last year, and in this term, by finding stuff for myself which interested me- so for our deathly dull Ethics topic on determinist ethics, I researched quantum epistemology and the ethics of the many-worlds hypothesis.

ReputationRep:
    i've left sixth form now but definitely not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NineBurgundy)
    That's not what independent study is. You go to a sixth form college to learn, but that can either be through rote or through your own (directed) efforts.

I find I learn a lot better through independent study because it allows me to find elements of a topic which interest me. If I don't like a part of a subject, I tend not to pay attention to it, which is obviously a disadvantage. I got around this last year, and in this term, by finding stuff for myself which interested me- so for our deathly dull Ethics topic on determinist ethics, I researched quantum epistemology and the ethics of the many-worlds hypothesis.
    But if it's 100% independent then there is no point in being a part of the college surely? You won't gain anything from going there, so you may as well just do it by yourself.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    It depends. Essay subjects such as Economics, History or Lit can be much harder to self-teach as they are very ambigous and there is quite a big chunk of essay structure. There is also the factor of experience. Teachers have been through the process many times and know what examiners look for.
    On the other hand, maths, physics and perhaps even the languages can (IMO) be done independently. I am personally learning Further Maths at home and I'm going at a much much faster pace than in class. Plus, either you get to the answer or you don't, so you can always be certain of whether you're tackling a topic correctly or not.
    Chemistry does, IMO, require a teacher. There's a lot of stuff within chapters such as organic chemistry that require someone who has knowledge which goes beyond the syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, you already get enough independent studying at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Not in slightest, I wouldn't do any work at all

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Not 100% independent obviously - you should still be able to [when needed] ask teachers questions, get them to mark essays etc.
    But I can't stress how much time I feel is wasted by attending lessons. I'm definitely a lot more productive on my own. I only listen for about 10 mins away in a lesson and then I zone out. But when I work in my own time/on my own, I'm more focused.

I feel like things like this should be optional, really. Because although people like us might do better independently, others might not. I do feel like independent learners are less catered for at sixth form though (isn't sixth form meant to prepare you for uni? They don't spoon feed you and force to attend lectures at uni, surely?)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.