The Student Room Group

Structure of personal statement?

Hi I'm really not great with written things. I was wondering if there's a more appropriate way to order or structure my personal statement. There's A-level subjects and how they link to the courses I'm applying for, things done outside a levels like sporting achievements and stuff that happened before I started them and just generally why I picked the course and skills it develops etc.
Also, how do I start it? Some people say to go in chronological order but i'll be saying i wanna study chemistry for a line or two, then going on abut how much sport i liked to do... aha.
So does it matter then?
Thanks.
What subject
Check the PS builder tool linked in my signature below :smile: You should focus on why the course interests you - that should take up most of your PS (at least 2/3)
Reply 3
Guess it varies slightly depending on course. My structure for an engineering course went something like:

Introduction (Why I want to study the course and its applications in the working environment)
Career aspirations
Knowledge of what the course entails + how my subjects link/prepare me for it
Work experience/any voluntary experiences
Extra curricular activities
Conclusion (summing up what I look forward to and how the university will help me)

Like most say, doesn't have to follow a rigid structure. It took a lot of swapping round before I found one that worked for my statement. I would recommend you start mentioning your main reason for studying in the introduction rather than make it purely a description of what the course/job does. Hope it helped!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending