Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm really not great with written things. I was wondering if there's a more appropriate way to order or structure my personal statement. There's A-level subjects and how they link to the courses I'm applying for, things done outside a levels like sporting achievements and stuff that happened before I started them and just generally why I picked the course and skills it develops etc.
    Also, how do I start it? Some people say to go in chronological order but i'll be saying i wanna study chemistry for a line or two, then going on abut how much sport i liked to do... aha.
    So does it matter then?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    What subject
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Check the PS builder tool linked in my signature below You should focus on why the course interests you - that should take up most of your PS (at least 2/3)

ReputationRep:
    Guess it varies slightly depending on course. My structure for an engineering course went something like:

Introduction (Why I want to study the course and its applications in the working environment)
    Career aspirations
    Knowledge of what the course entails + how my subjects link/prepare me for it
    Work experience/any voluntary experiences
    Extra curricular activities
    Conclusion (summing up what I look forward to and how the university will help me)

Like most say, doesn't have to follow a rigid structure. It took a lot of swapping round before I found one that worked for my statement. I would recommend you start mentioning your main reason for studying in the introduction rather than make it purely a description of what the course/job does. Hope it helped!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.