The Student Room Group

Social work - University test and interview

Heyy

I've applied to do Social Work at uni and I've got tests and interviews coming up at various unis :smile: I've done some research into what these tests and interviews contain but I was wondering if anyone had any first hand knowledge that could help me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

xx
Hi kaaaatttyyy_xx,

Congrats with the Interviews!! I am in my third year studying social work so I know what the interview process is like.

The formats are all quite similar as the interview process is set by the HCPC. There is normally a written element, a group discussion and a 'normal' interview with someone from the academic team.

I think the thing to remember is that when you are invited for an interview the people who have looked at your UCAS form already saw something in you that you want to see again - have some confidence in that as it seems to be something people forget.

You might want to think about having a look in the following places for more information on the social work role BASW (British Association of Social Work), SCIE (Social Care Institute for Excellence) and IFSW (International Federation of Social Work).

If you have any questions then please feel free to ask away

Mish :smile:
Hi Mish

Thank you so much for the useful information! I will look up those sites now. I understand with the test it's a case study that you then evaluate and the main purpose of the test is to see that you can write well, grammar, spelling and puntuation etc?

That's true, I'm just worried because I have never done an interview like this etc. I've looked up questions they might ask and stuff I just hope I answer what they ask well.

Awww thank you! And wow 3rd year that's awesome! What are the placements like? And what uni did you go to?

Katy

:smile:

Xx
Hi Katy,

Im at Bournemouth and about to go out on my final placement next week - its in Mental Health so I am very much looking forward to it as this is the field I would like to go into after graduation. I chose this Uni because they are very much research driven and all the academics still work within the community so have relevant historical and recent knowledge of social work in the community.

I see the written test as yes, about how you write in terms of grammar and all that stuff but also about how you interpret the information you have. Key elements of writing for a social work degree are around working anti-oppressively, and about how your personal values and professional ethics will shape the way you approach social work in general.

If you have any issues with grammar etc then any Uni you go to can support you to improve academic skills so look out for any extra classes you can get your hands on - plus if you invest in up to date Microsoft Word you can have spell/grammar check at your finger tips all the time lol.

Good Luck though

Mish :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest