Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Advice please? Uni choices, German, year abroad and feeling scared and anxious. watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if this is the right area of TSR to post.

I'm applying for university and just need to finalise my choices. But I'm having a really difficult time with it. I really enjoy German and would like to study it at university but I'm so anxious because of the fact most universities in Scotland I've come across require a compulsory year abroad in third year.

That's literally scaring me so much. I was diagnosed with OCD at eleven and then with depression at fifteen and in November last year, got diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome. I still live at home but planned to move out if I got into university. But I find it really really hard to struggle through each day and just actually function and I'm worried I wouldn't be able to study abroad for a full year. :afraid: It would only be two and a half years from now, and when I think back two and a half years (or even much further back), it seems like yesterday and things have not improved at all since then. I'm still terrified and anxious and ugh. I am just anxious that it would be time to go away on the compulsory year and I just literally would not be able to and therefore not being able to complete my course.

I don't know what courses to apply to because of this. I would hope to go to Glasgow because the course looks so interesting but also it's closest to where I live (it's only 1 hour away). But it requires a full year abroad. I think some only require one term or so, I wonder if anyone had any ideas which universities that applied to?

My mum said I should apply to St Andrews because I saw you can do a four year course that doesn't involve a year abroad. But I don't think I'd get in? I only got 4 B's at higher in my first sitting (German, French, English and Geography) and last year in S6 I got a C in higher psychology and an A in higher music and the language unit for advanced higher german (I did the course but didn't sit the exam due to anxiety). This year I am doing an HNC in social sciences at college.

I wondered if anyone could also please tell me about german courses in scotland you are studying or know about so I know what to apply for please? I also saw courses (I have Glasgow in mind here but I would apply at other universities of these subjects as one of my choices too) that are joint and I can't decide whether to apply for German and Music or German and Politics. Is it easy to change courses within a university if you change your mind? (namely glasgow? I sound ridiculous and can't tell whether to laugh or cry).

Ever since I was very little I've loved Music (and even the history and background and culture that other people I met didn't like) and wanted to do it as a career but I don't know if politics is more useful and like open up more doors and such. I only started doing it for the first time this year but I enjoy it. I'm just worried I don't like it anymore after a while since I've only liked it for a while. What if I choose to do a joint course with it and then go off it and change my mind? My lecturer told me studying politics would "add another string to your bow" and that I can obviously do music in my spare time. I just can't decide :confused:.

I'm sorry there's so much in this post and please I just really hoped someone could help me . Thank you.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It might be worth talking to the disability support services at the unis you're interested in. They will be able to help you if you're struggling with your degree due to your OCD/Aspergers/depression. They'll be able to tell you about the support they have - they might be able to give help with study skills, or work on building your confidence.Even if they can't help directly, they may know organisations that can.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.