Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little bit about York or Bath uni, anything about accomodation, courses (natsci/biomed/chemistry), societies and the appearence and feel of the campus. Im really not bothered about nightlife, if anything Id prefer to go to the one which has the worst.

Ive visited York and I really disliked the campus but I didn't see that much of it, mainly just the central area and a lot say there isnt much difference in the Bath& York campuses. The problem I have is I slightly prefer the look of Bath and the ruralness and theres not much difference in the course structures Ive been looking however, York is closer to home and bath is about 4 hours away on a costly train so I couldnt come home as often which I would like to do.
    So if anyone could tell me how they decided about unis or anything specific about Bath and York and the courses I listed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by S F)
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little bit about York or Bath uni, anything about accomodation, courses (natsci/biomed/chemistry), societies and the appearence and feel of the campus. Im really not bothered about nightlife, if anything Id prefer to go to the one which has the worst.

Ive visited York and I really disliked the campus but I didn't see that much of it, mainly just the central area and a lot say there isnt much difference in the Bath& York campuses. The problem I have is I slightly prefer the look of Bath and the ruralness and theres not much difference in the course structures Ive been looking however, York is closer to home and bath is about 4 hours away on a costly train so I couldnt come home as often which I would like to do.
    So if anyone could tell me how they decided about unis or anything specific about Bath and York and the courses I listed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi S F,

I'm Sam, a second year student currently studying at Bath. Unfortunately I don't know too much about the courses you've mentioned, but later this week there will be another current student who logs on to the Student Room who will be able to address those issues specifically.

The main difference about York is that it is a collegiate university. That means that the university is split up into several different colleges, whereas at Bath the student body is one big group.

As for Bath itself, I can agree that the 'rural' feel to Bath is really nice, it's not like a massive city in the same way that the likes of London, Manchester, etc. are, but there's still plenty to do. You don't have to worry about nightlife in Bath, there is plenty around but if you're not interested then it's easy to ignore, you won't ever be left feeling like you have to go out.

That is especially true if you get involved in societies, there are loads to get involved with at Bath, and you can see a full list of them on the SU website here, and there is also a list of sports clubs available here and volunteering is a great thing to get involved with as well. There are loads of different types of societies as well, from the likes of BUSMS (Musicals society) to Amnesty Society, so there is something for everyone, and if you think something is missing then you just need to find a group of 30 others to sign a form and you can start up your own society and get SU funding and help with that.

The campus at Bath is great, it's quite small which makes getting around easy, but also has a lot to offer. There is the lake, which has grass surrounding it and an amphitheatre, and that's really popular, especially in the summer. You can walk from one side to the other in no more than 10-15 minutes, which is great for early morning lectures! There are also lots of big open green areas, some of which are used for sport, and lots of on campus accommodation. You can actually view some of the campus on Google Street View here.

There is a range of accommodation available on and off campus for first year students at Bath. There is more info available here, but you can choose catered or non-catered, en-suite or shared bathroom, and a range of prices. Catering at Bath works by giving you credit on your library card which you can use at all the food outlets on campus, there are loads on offer, including the newly opened Lime Tree, with a range of food on offer so you won't get bored of the same food all the time. You can also go for the accommodation that costs less, such as Eastwood or Westwood, with shared bathrooms, or ensuite accommodation in Woodland Court, Solsbury, Marlborough or the Quads. The Quads also offers a 50:50 split between catered and non-catered, as you get some catering credit included in your rent, but you also get a fully furnished kitchen so you can cook for yourself easily as well. Everyone I know across loads of different accommodation all loved their accommodation for first year, so every option is a good one!

When I looked at universities I was also worried about distance from home and how long it would take to get back, but once you're at university if you get involved with societies and things then you'll probably be so busy with everything you're involved in that you won't go home as often as you think! Travel from Bath is easy though, as Bath Spa station is only 10 minutes away from campus by bus and then it's around an hour and a half into London or 10 minutes to Bristol Templemeads, and you can get almost anywhere from those 2 stations.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask any other questions you may have!

Sam
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by S F)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi S F,

I can see Sam has given you a great reply highlighting many of the reasons to come to Bath, and I agree with all of them. I am in my fourth and final year and I have loved my time studying at Bath.

I study Chemistry with Drug Discovery and I have really enjoyed the course. At Bath there is a good balance between theory and practicals with plenty of contact time, lectures and lab sessions throughout the week. The staff in the department are all really friendly and always available to help should you need it.

One reason why I chose Bath, was that I wanted to do a placement in my third year, and Bath has a really good reputation for their links with industry and the quality of their placement years. I got a placement and worked as an analytical chemist for a year at a pharmaceutical company.

Any questions about the chemistry course at all please feel free to ask. Even about the other courses you are interested in, whilst I do not study them, I can do my best to answer any queries.

Thanks

Claire

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.