Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little bit about York or Bath uni, anything about accomodation, courses (natsci/biomed/chemistry), societies and the appearence and feel of the campus. Im really not bothered about nightlife, if anything Id prefer to go to the one which has the worst.

Ive visited York and I really disliked the campus but I didn't see that much of it, mainly just the central area and a lot say there isnt much difference in the Bath& York campuses. The problem I have is I slightly prefer the look of Bath and the ruralness and theres not much difference in the course structures Ive been looking however, York is closer to home and bath is about 4 hours away on a costly train so I couldnt come home as often which I would like to do.
    So if anyone could tell me how they decided about unis or anything specific about Bath and York and the courses I listed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S F)
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little bit about York or Bath uni, anything about accomodation, courses (natsci/biomed/chemistry), societies and the appearence and feel of the campus. Im really not bothered about nightlife, if anything Id prefer to go to the one which has the worst.

Ive visited York and I really disliked the campus but I didn't see that much of it, mainly just the central area and a lot say there isnt much difference in the Bath& York campuses. The problem I have is I slightly prefer the look of Bath and the ruralness and theres not much difference in the course structures Ive been looking however, York is closer to home and bath is about 4 hours away on a costly train so I couldnt come home as often which I would like to do.
    So if anyone could tell me how they decided about unis or anything specific about Bath and York and the courses I listed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi

I'm in my first year at York, I'm doing Education so can't help you with the course (although I have flatmates doing Chem, Bio and Biochem and they all seem happy).

Accommodation covers all ranges, from horrible old blocks to ones which only opened in September, with prices to match. It's on the expensive side of university accommodation but from what I remember looking at Bath it was there too.

Societies are great, there is pretty much everything you can want, and a good system for starting your own if there is something missing.

Hes West (the campus you saw) isn't the prettiest as you've seen, however the newer campus is a 5 min free bus ride away and is beautiful, it's where I live now and it's not an issue having lectures on the other campus. I really like being at a campus uni too, my mum calls it Center Parcs, everything you want day to day is on campus, swimming pool and sports, supermarket and a few other little shops, doctors, and I believe there's plans to build even more. York as a city is beautiful too, and about 20 mins away from uni.

In terms of night life, am I right in saying you don't like going out? As far as I'm aware, York has an okay night life, but in 4 months of being here I haven't been out once. In Freshers Week every college holds "alt" events like games nights and quizzes every night for those who don't want to go out.

Home for me is about an hour from York, and I have to say I love being able to come home so easily, especially when you realise you've forgotten something vital when you come back after the holidays (I currently have no hairbrush!).

I'm sorry I've gone on a bit but hope this helps, shout if you have any more questions

Nina

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S F)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My friend (who is at York currently) applied to York and Bath. The way he decided was simple: York was better at his course and so he went to York. I suggest doing the same thing-- see which one is better at your specific course.

Even if it isn't better at your course, what York has going for it is the following: It was once said to be building a reputation "to rival Oxbridge" and in 2010 was the 11th overall best university in the country in The Times league table. It is one of the few schools to have displaced Oxford in second place. It's Russell Group and Bath isn't and so forth. Basically: York is really, really good.

But really... if you like Bath more, go to Bath. I have a friend that got an offer from York but decided they'd rather make Keele their first choice simply because they liked it more. I think that what's really important is that you chose the place you like most... and if you like Bath more, go for it. Bath's got a fine reputation and probably will someday be a Russell Group school.

But of course, I don't know you, this is just my personal feeling, but there's for and against for York. :-)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.