Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ive recently started to keep a bottle of vodka in my room and always have a swig from the bottle before i leave the house every morning to take the edge off :cool:

i wouldnt want to be on this planet without alcohol, its so beautiful

i find life monotonous without it. (doesnt matter how busy i am during the day either, so dont say get a hobby blah etc!)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Moved to Health

ReputationRep:
    Vodka for breakfast is very bad.

You really do need to stop that.

ReputationRep:
    Yes sounds like you are. You need to stop that. Try searching for support groups in your area if that might help. Basically you need a strategy to get you off alcohol - with addictions this usually means acknowledging for yourself that you can never have that thing again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You need to contact AA. Drinking in the morning is not good.. I hope you don't drive!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mals94)
    I wouldn't want to be on this planet without alcohol, it's so beautiful.
    There are a variety of support groups available offering different suggestions.

Some insist on total abstinence. This may not work for you, as is the case for some - including me - as alcohol is hard to avoid without redesigning your life to avoid it, which is not always practical.

There are some groups who help one learn techniques for managing ones alcohol consumption. It sounds like this is something you could also look into. This allows you to have a life but without the self-destruction and health impact.

Starting the day with alcohol is significant because it is a reliable early indicator of a serious problem being on its way, so you might want to do some research now, while it is on your mind.

Drinkline:
    0300 123 1110 (England)
    0800 7314 314 (Scotland)
    www.drinksmarter.org
    "Advice and information for people with alcohol problems or anyone concerned about alcohol misuse. Advice on sensible drinking and information on services to help people cut down on their drinking."

Young People:
    For information about alcohol check out information at www.thesite.org run by YouthNet UK, specifically drinking-alcohol.

Things that worked for me:
    - never start on spirits, otherwise the day ends way too soon.
    - switch from cheap lager in volume to good quality lager (no, not piss like Stella, stuff that conforms to the old Reinheitsgebot).
    - switch from lager to ale. Ales are more filling and take longer drink but are more satisfying.
    - keep off doubles.
    - keep off chemicalised danger-piss like WKDs and ready-made chasers. They're for hen-nights to get tanked up and silly quickly, not for proper drinkers.
    - aim for quality, not cost. Cheap, strong, white cider is for tramps who sleep on the streets.
    - I had to give up drinking at lunchtimes, unless I accepted the fact the day ended when the drinking started. I no longer go out at lunchtime unless on holiday.
    - put off having the first drink as long as possible in the day.
    - the first drink cannot come before the first big meal.
    - a drink with a meal is a drink with a meal, not before it.

In short: by switching to more interesting drinks with less alcohol content, more filling drinks that take longer to drink, by not drinking on an empty stomach, by starting later, by aiming to extend the process of getting drunk before getting slaughtered, I found a way to manage my drinking that didn't destroy relationships.

If that doesn't work, then total abstinence may be worth a try for a period to see how that goes.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly, probably not. It's like saying I play ps4 for 30 mins before I go out am I addicted to ps4? (obviously not)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.