Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My GCSE's are looking to be a shambles thanks to ill health, now what? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I'm in my final year of school and due to ill health my GCSE's won't be half as good as I was predicted originally, perhaps not enough to make the cut. My dream is to become a midwife, something I've always had great interest in. At the beginning of Year 10 I was predicted A-A* throughout all my subjects, until my mental health (I have Schizophrenia) and physical health deteriorated (back in April).

I would ideally like to study Level 3 Health and Social care, of which then leads me into higher education and eligible for a University place. However, my problem is physically getting on the course at a college!

To my understanding of much research, the course requires a minimum of 4 GCSE's graded A*-C. And, as I wish to be a midwife, I believe a minimum of C grade Science is required. I'm not confident I'll make the great, that's me being realistic, not doubting my skills. I know my health is a big issue and has effected me a great deal.

I am currently in the process of discovering why I am vomiting blood, why my urine is always bright red and why I have such consistent joint pains. These physical problems have lead me to a vast amount of time off school and my grades have been effected. In addition to the time off school, studying on my own accord has proved to be a challenge due to being in and out of a hospital ward all the time and being in too much agonizing pain to do anything like get out of bed, let alone pick up a text book. My doctors believe this is a rare immunity disorder but cannot treat it unless 100% sure as treatment is vastly invasive, ranging from Chemotherapy to vascular drugs.

I guess my main question is this: Can colleges accept anyone they wish onto a course, like Universities can choose whoever their hearts desire, or must I meet a certain academic criteria? The 2 years of which I'd be studying would benefit me health wise as I'm 99% sure my health conditions will be in the process of being treated and I won't be so majorly ill.

Thank you, any information is very much so appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiesophs98)
    Hiya,

I'm in my final year of school and due to ill health my GCSE's won't be half as good as I was predicted originally, perhaps not enough to make the cut. My dream is to become a midwife, something I've always had great interest in. At the beginning of Year 10 I was predicted A-A* throughout all my subjects, until my mental health (I have Schizophrenia) and physical health deteriorated (back in April).

I would ideally like to study Level 3 Health and Social care, of which then leads me into higher education and eligible for a University place. However, my problem is physically getting on the course at a college!

To my understanding of much research, the course requires a minimum of 4 GCSE's graded A*-C. And, as I wish to be a midwife, I believe a minimum of C grade Science is required. I'm not confident I'll make the great, that's me being realistic, not doubting my skills. I know my health is a big issue and has effected me a great deal.

I am currently in the process of discovering why I am vomiting blood, why my urine is always bright red and why I have such consistent joint pains. These physical problems have lead me to a vast amount of time off school and my grades have been effected. In addition to the time off school, studying on my own accord has proved to be a challenge due to being in and out of a hospital ward all the time and being in too much agonizing pain to do anything like get out of bed, let alone pick up a text book. My doctors believe this is a rare immunity disorder but cannot treat it unless 100% sure as treatment is vastly invasive, ranging from Chemotherapy to vascular drugs.

I guess my main question is this: Can colleges accept anyone they wish onto a course, like Universities can choose whoever their hearts desire, or must I meet a certain academic criteria? The 2 years of which I'd be studying would benefit me health wise as I'm 99% sure my health conditions will be in the process of being treated and I won't be so majorly ill.

Thank you, any information is very much so appreciated.
    HI, couple of questions:

1) Are you still able to go school 5 times a week
    2) Are you unable to revise at all- due to the pain etc?

Forgive me im not familiar with people who Schizophrenia so I hope i have not offended or anything like that

ReputationRep:
    No worries! Yes I mostly do attend school 5 days a week and I do revise, however it isn't all that productive due to ill health.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I too have missed lots of school due to health problems, so I understand! All I suggest is that you get 'special considerations' or extra time which will hopefully give you an advantage in the exam.
    Best wishes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthie_nuggetty)
    Hi, I too have missed lots of school due to health problems, so I understand! All I suggest is that you get 'special considerations' or extra time which will hopefully give you an advantage in the exam.
    The most the OP is likely to get through special consideration is an extra 3% on exams.

Extra time would not be appropriate but she should qualify for rest breaks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiesophs98)
    No worries! Yes I mostly do attend school 5 days a week and I do revise, however it isn't all that productive due to ill health.
    What specifically stops your revision from being productive do you think?

Is it pain so its hard to concentrate or something else?

Sorry for being so nosey, im just need a bit more info so i can give you the most useful advice I can give

Oh and btw im pretty sure universities will take into account extenuating circumstances

ReputationRep:
    My biggest advice is that when you feel okay just try and learn as much as you can. Focus on four subjects and aim for Bs if you can so you won't risk screwing up and getting a D. Go for quality not quantity- if you cant learn anything at all then don't bother and rest up and when you feel a bit more motivated just do as much as you can. I hope you're okay and you get better soon and good luck

ReputationRep:
    There was a boy in my year - straight A student until he ended up in hospital for many months with severe asthma and a heart condition. He was put in for special consideration, which I think meant that colleges would be notified of his extenuating circumstances so would take that into consideration. He also didn't sit all his exams - just 4 / 5 that he did in hospital and the rest used his predicted grades. Most places will take extenuating circumstances into consideration

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.