This discussion is closed.
unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
hI I hAVE GCSE essay to be handed in 1000 words for wednesday all about the battle somme being a military tragedy what do you think on this topic ie reasons why you think to agreee or disagree with the statement. thanks alot in advance.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
anyone please i need help on this i plan to write it a.s.a.p. please help with any knowledge you have.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
On the first day of the Somme, 250000 soldiers were killed in the first hour. That is quite a military tragedy. I can't remember how many were killed overall. I did GCSE History 2 years ago, and I did visit the Somme on a school trip, but I can't remember much now. Was Vimy Ridge part of the Somme battle? Cos if it was then both sides were trying to take hold of it, cos on top of it you can see for miles around, which is a military advantage, but I think the Germans had it for quite a while.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
The German defences were supposed to have been destroyed by an artillery barrage before the main attack started. As the commanders believed that all the Germans would be dead and the defensive wire cut the Allied soldiers were ordered to attack at walking speed. As the Germans had not been killed they simply returned to their positions and slaughtered the slowly advancing Allied troops. In all there were 620,000 casualties and the line of battle was advanced by only 13km.
The battle was a tragedy because General Haig failed to realise that the Germans were too well fortified. Many lives could have been saved if more care had been taken.
Hope that was useful. If you get the chance to visit WW1 battle sites in France and Belgium it is well worth it - it is very moving and brings home to you the scale of the slaughter.
AllergicToFairydust
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/FWW.htm
Egan1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
We had to do an assessment on 'Does General Douglas Haig deserve the title of 'The Butcher of the Somme' '...anyway-

here are a few things you could consider when writing your essay- just a few ideas...:
the basics of the somme- who, what, where, when, why etc etc
the way warfair had been conducted before that time- whether Haig's methods were acceptable at the time
opinions of people at the time at the way Haig was commanding
attitudes/moral of the soldiers
the numbers of dead/injured
the pressure Haig was under
other battles having an affect (Verdun)
the results of the somme- gains and losses
how else a victory could have been achieved
what a defeat would have meant for the allies
what knowledge was gained from the battle of the somme (that can still be appreciated today)

I daresay if you look on some of the courseowork style sites then you will find plenty of related essays to gain inspiration from...

anyway...hope that's atleast of some help...and goodluck- hope you get it done (well) in time !
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
anyone please i need help on this i plan to write it a.s.a.p. please help with any knowledge you have.
you need soom serious help if you get this worried about an essay just chill and take it slowly you will find out what you need to just take your time and please relax. from ?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
it is important to see the big picture, people look back now and say that it was not such a tradegy, but at the time it was a disaster even David lloyd George said so, the somme was only one element in reliving pressure from verdun, therefore many believed for that amount of lost life it was a failure.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by unregistered)
hI I hAVE GCSE essay to be handed in 1000 words for wednesday all about the battle somme being a military tragedy what do you think on this topic ie reasons why you think to agreee or disagree with the statement. thanks alot in advance.
i say haig is a ****
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by unregistered)
General Custer and the battle of the litle big horn.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's the Battle of the Somme, not just Battle Somme.
leonardrunsaway
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
On the first day of the Somme, 250000 soldiers were killed in the first hour. That is quite a military tragedy. I can't remember how many were killed overall. I did GCSE History 2 years ago, and I did visit the Somme on a school trip, but I can't remember much now. Was Vimy Ridge part of the Somme battle? Cos if it was then both sides were trying to take hold of it, cos on top of it you can see for miles around, which is a military advantage, but I think the Germans had it for quite a while.

250 000 deaths in an hour? this is a gross qoverstatement. There were roughly 58 000 casualties on the first day - incl. wounded and missing. While this is a smaller amount, it still holds the record for the number of casualties in one day and its tragedy has not diminished over the years
Sire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Uhmm people. I hate to toot my own horn, but this is my area, and it seems a few of you don't know what you're talking about. eg:250,000 killed on the first day. Only 60,000 allied soldiers fell on the first day of the battle. The Germans lost even fewer. This doesn't add up to 250.000. If you put some direct questions to me I'll be more than happy to go into the next room and grab a handful of the many books that reside there and give you some concrete facts. Oh and the two world wars were the only topics on which I consistently scored 99%-100%. I really would be more than happy to help. [email protected] If you'd rather email.
Sire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Just to add something constructive that may help.

The Battle of the Somme was rushed into execution because the French desperately needed pressure of Germany's (Falkenhayn's) attack on Verdun. It was bleeding France white (Germany too incidentally, but that wasn't the plan) and the British (Haig) were forced into making an ill planned attack which cost them dearly as everyone knows. One thing worth looking at is the Artillery attack. It was supposed to happen so as to allow the soldiers to leave the trenches and march across no-mans land as the barrage moved forward. Thus keeping the Germans in their trenches, and retreating/dying. A few misread communications saw this fail, and the barrage was lifted instead of pushed forward. Allowing the German machine gunners to unleash the devastation they did, and also bring up some heavy/medium/light artillery to pound no-mans land.

Just thought I should add something a little constructive for you.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (163)
15.61%
Uncertainty around my education (171)
16.38%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (101)
9.67%
Isolating with family (71)
6.8%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (39)
3.74%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.62%
Loneliness (104)
9.96%
Financial worries (46)
4.41%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (95)
9.1%
Exposure to negative news/social media (74)
7.09%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.62%

Watched Threads