Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    do any of you guys know how to do hypothesis testing? for stats 2 this is?
    totally don't understand it, would love a little help?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, please, someone reply to this fantastic question! I didn't understand anything to do with the EdExcel S2 so learnt it all from scratch on my own and using past papers. Most of it I can do, albeit not fully understanding it...but hypothesis testing makes no sense whatsoever!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have to retake my S2 due to the appalling 67% I achieved in January 2004 (after a run of 100%, 98%, 95% and 84% in P1, M1, S1 and P2 respectively and then 91% and 82% in P3 and P4 respectively). I also did M2 and achieved a low 76%. I will have to post questions about that too since that is another retake! At the moment though, M3 is my first exam, on 24th May 2004!!!! I need serious help with most of this, it blows my mind. Despite getting 98% on M1, forces and the concept of equilibrium etc goes right over my head! Please help!

"Countdown" Kirk

ReputationRep:
    yeah.....i can do it

urm...but you gotta be more specific...but there is a general methodology to follow and it's seems relatively easy ......

ReputationRep:
    The proportion of left-handed adults in a country is known to be 15%. It is suggested that for mathematicians the proportion is greater than 15%. A random sample of 12 members of a university mathematics department is taken, and it is found to include five who are left-handed.

a) Stating your hypothesis, test whether the suggestion is justified, using a sig level as close to 5% as possible.

b) In fact the sig test cannot be carried out at a sig level of exactly 5%. State the probability of making a Type I error in this test.

???

xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angellotte)
    The proportion of left-handed adults in a country is known to be 15%. It is suggested that for mathematicians the proportion is greater than 15%. A random sample of 12 members of a university mathematics department is taken, and it is found to include five who are left-handed.

a) Stating your hypothesis, test whether the suggestion is justified, using a sig level as close to 5% as possible.

b) In fact the sig test cannot be carried out at a sig level of exactly 5%. State the probability of making a Type I error in this test.

???

xx
    Hi
    H0: p=0.15
    H1>0.15

X~B(12,0.15)
    find P(X>5)

if its less than 0.05 (5%), then its not likely to have taken place so you can say that the new hypothesis was correct
    otherwise it is quite likely so the original hypothesis is still good

b) i dont know what a type1 error is

ReputationRep:
    Question 1
    --------------------------------------

Null Hypo: Mean = 15%
    Alternative Hypo: Mean > 15%

One - Tailed Test
    Signifigance level = 5%
    Critical Value (from z tables) = 1.6449

Test Statistic = (Sample mean - Mean)
    ----------------------
    Stndrd dev / Square root N

If you work this out and it is greater than 1.6449 than you accept the alternative hypo else accept the null hypo.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Question 2
    -------------------------------------------------------

Type 1 error: to reject the null when it is true

In this case the probablity is the same as the signifgance level
    i.e. 5%

Hope it helps !!

ReputationRep:
    thanku kikzen & xskater!!!

xx

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.