Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Our new A-level philosophy teacher is **** - help? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I was wondering if I could get some tips on how to deal with a teacher that doesn't really know about our subject?
    So, at the beginning of this term our old A-level philosophy teacher left, and we have a new one in. The thing is, we have our mock coming up in a week but he has admitted to only knowing one of the three topics we are studying.
    Literally, he has told us "you know the topics better than me lol you're on your own!" While we revise, he just shuffles books on shelves. One time I asked if we could do some timed assessments in class and he basically declined.

What I'm asking is, what can I do? I know that there's a focus on independent learning, but the thing is... it's not independent by his own volition, it's that this guys head is about as intellectually stimulating as an airing cupboard.

Do you know of any in-depth online resources for Plato's Republic, or even any tips for what examiners like to see in A2? Links to webpages/articles/etc very welcome. Also, should I tell head of department about this guy...? Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    The chances of your school doing anything about it is slim I think. They all watch each other's backs, even for new teachers. I have a new teacher this year too, complained to the head of sixth and then later got told that although she is a bad teacher, I should stop complaining and self teach myself because I need the grade for uni. Made me realise at the end of the day, they don't care at all and I really am in it by myself. What exam board are you on for RE?

ReputationRep:
    I'd tell the head of department, if you get a few of you with the same opinion to go then they should listen, it worked at my sixth form when we had a rubbish geography teacher haha, also YouTube videos are good for learning the different arguments that's what I tend to use in philosophy when I wanna learn a bit more about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie97)
    The chances of your school doing anything about it is slim I think. They all watch each other's backs, even for new teachers. I have a new teacher this year too, complained to the head of sixth and then later got told that although she is a bad teacher, I should stop complaining and self teach myself because I need the grade for uni. Made me realise at the end of the day, they don't care at all and I really am in it by myself. What exam board are you on for RE?
    Kind of crazy, isn't it? You'd think they would care more. We're philosophy - I think we're on AQA. A friend of mine does RE and I think she's the same. I think the main reason they employed this new guy was bc he would happily teach RE and Philosophy, so it's two birds with one stone (theoretically lol). What subject is it you're doing?
    Yeah I do feel kind of unsupported. I would tell head of department about him but if I did, I think they'd just be like 'so what?' :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lo-li-ta)
    Kind of crazy, isn't it? You'd think they would care more. We're philosophy - I think we're on AQA. A friend of mine does RE and I think she's the same. I think the main reason they employed this new guy was bc he would happily teach RE and Philosophy, so it's two birds with one stone (theoretically lol). What subject is it you're doing?
    Yeah I do feel kind of unsupported. I would tell head of department about him but if I did, I think they'd just be like 'so what?' :/
    Your school may help you out a little if you tell them, but you have to remember there's only a certain extent to what they can do. They may help you out, but not in the ways you want them to (fire the teacher and bring in a brilliant brand new one!!).

Unfortunately, I'm on Philosophy OCR so I can't help you but I'm sure people on getrevising have notes for your course to revise from. I have been using the getrevising website to self teach Psych (that's the subject I was having a problem with) and my grade has massively improved by using notes from other people who probably have good teachers!!

ReputationRep:
    In a similar kindof situation and doing the same Plato unit! Ugh, it's so stressful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.