Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do I choose a university course? And how do they differ? (psychology) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm nearly 19 and applying to do a humanities access course (psychology, sociology, history) at Bristol college and as part of the application/interview you have to know in great detail what university course you want to do.
    I'd like to study psychology at uni but I'm unsure of how to choose. Not only location but how do the courses differ!? I know some unis want more general subjects like Biology/English/Maths instead but why!? :confused:

So far I've chosen 'Psychology' at the University of Bristol (my top choice but I know I need back ups for good measure).
    Reasons being; I live there near there and love the city, It has connections with the college course, I know people who have been there and succeeded(they didn't study psychology), they're seen as one of the top unis in the UK. With these reasons I read more into the course and would love to study there.

My other option is 'Abnormal and clinical psychology' at Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge.
    The only reason for this is that its a specific part of psychology that I'm interested in.
    I'm having doubts about this course though as its not statistically as good a university as Bristol (for a start you only need 3 GCSEs above grade C which is some sort of indication as the top Universities want several A/Bs).

I know open days help so will be going to both of these to get more of an indication of what I can get out of the course.

So how do I choose locations? Whats the best way to find a good uni? How can I see how the Psychology course differ? How important is the social side of uni? :iiam:

Thanks! any university tips at all would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emibla)
    I'm nearly 19 and applying to do a humanities access course (psychology, sociology, history) at Bristol college and as part of the application/interview you have to know in great detail what university course you want to do.
    I'd like to study psychology at uni but I'm unsure of how to choose. Not only location but how do the courses differ!? I know some unis want more general subjects like Biology/English/Maths instead but why!? :confused:

So far I've chosen 'Psychology' at the University of Bristol (my top choice but I know I need back ups for good measure).
    Reasons being; I live there near there and love the city, It has connections with the college course, I know people who have been there and succeeded(they didn't study psychology), they're seen as one of the top unis in the UK. With these reasons I read more into the course and would love to study there.

My other option is 'Abnormal and clinical psychology' at Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge.
    The only reason for this is that its a specific part of psychology that I'm interested in.
    I'm having doubts about this course though as its not statistically as good a university as Bristol (for a start you only need 3 GCSEs above grade C which is some sort of indication as the top Universities want several A/Bs).

I know open days help so will be going to both of these to get more of an indication of what I can get out of the course.

So how do I choose locations? Whats the best way to find a good uni? How can I see how the Psychology course differ? How important is the social side of uni? :iiam:

Thanks! any university tips at all would be appreciated
    If you look at the "course content" section normally you can see which modules you take in the first and second year. Most psychology degrees cover the same content in the first and second year (because to be BPS accredited they have to cover specific things), but normally you get to choose which modules to take in the third year (and maybe second year a bit too).

Unis want maths/biology/english a levels because psychology degrees cover a lot of statistics and biology, and i guess english is good for essay writing practise. Its not generally required though...

A good way of finding the best unis is to go through the university rankings (e.g. http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...s?s=psychology) . They are more or less ranked in terms of asking grades, so as you go down the grades should be lower, so you can then use that to find places within the range your looking for.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.