Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone see the Labour Party Broadcast on BBC at about 7 this evening? As someone who is split between a vote for the Tories, or the UKIP in the up and coming European elections, the broadcast made me smile from ear to ear. Labour didn't once make a constructive comment, rather they spent their airtime trying to smear Michael Howard. Are these the actions of a party that is confident in its standing amongst the electorate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Did anyone see the Labour Party Broadcast on BBC at about 7 this evening? As someone who is split between a vote for the Tories, or the UKIP in the up and coming European elections, the broadcast made me smile from ear to ear. Labour didn't once make a constructive comment, rather they spent their airtime trying to smear Michael Howard. Are these the actions of a party that is confident in its standing amongst the electorate?
    Article in the Times today on this, Labour's own MP's have been complainig about this new campaign, saying it is negative etc.

ReputationRep:
    Was there a brief spike in suicides throughout the UK at around this time?

ReputationRep:
    They're taking advantage of his past. I think the public will also remember the infamous interview with Jeremy Paxman. Lots of older voters I guess will see that and remember the strikes, inflation etc. that they saw in the last conservative government.

But you are right, they should be more constructive. Not as if the tories have done anything along those lines though.

ReputationRep:
    However what he said about Howard did ring true so a certain extent. I agree that he shouldnt need to do it tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    They're taking advantage of his past. I think the public will also remember the infamous interview with Jeremy Paxman. Lots of older voters I guess will see that and remember the strikes, inflation etc. that they saw in the last conservative government.
    Huh? Strikes and inflation in the last conservative government? I think you mean the last labor government don't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    However what he said about Howard did ring true so a certain extent. I agree that he shouldnt need to do it tho.
    That may be true. But Labour should give its electorate more respect... granted 99% of people are probably totally unaware of politics. But it is insulting to those people who want to actually know what the future might have in store as opposed to what has already happened.

Slight aside, why do people think there is quite a desire to lower the voting age to 16? Is it because teenagers are probably one of the most succeptable age groups to spin and glossy ads??

ReputationRep:
    That may be true. But Labour should give its electorate more respect... granted 99% of people are probably totally unaware of politics. But it is insulting to those people who want to actually know what the future might have in store as opposed to what has already happened.

Slight aside, why do people think there is quite a desire to lower the voting age to 16? Is it because teenagers are probably one of the most succeptable age groups to spin and glossy ads??
    Did you see the Tory one? It was just the same, saying Labour hasn't done this and that and not telling the electorate what it will do. Negative campaigning is from both sides, and I agree, its crap.

ReputationRep:

I agree totally, I guess that the Labour spin machine feels it will get more votes from cheap shots than putting forward logically arguements to convert those who know the score.

I agree on your last point. Most people my age and younger are totally unintrested in politics and I think giving them the vote at the age of 16 would be a bad move.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Did you see the Tory one? It was just the same, saying Labour hasn't done this and that and not telling the electorate what it will do. Negative campaigning is from both sides, and I agree, its crap.
    No I haven't seen the Tory one, but from what you say its no better than the Labour one. Disappointing. One wonders about the merit of democracy when 'campaigns' come down to cheap shots from both the major parties.

ReputationRep:
    No I haven't seen the Tory one, but from what you say its no better than the Labour one. Disappointing. One wonders about the merit of democracy when 'campaigns' come down to cheap shots from both the major parties.
    Generally speaking, elections are to a large extent refernda about the incumbent government. Consequently, Labour has to prove that it has used its power wisely, and can continue to do so in the future. The Tories are therefore justified in trying to prove the opposite. Thus I think the Opposition is more justified in campaigning negatively. It's a bit silly Blair pointing out sections of Howard's CV from 1968, or even 1991 - it simply isn't relevant. Whereas the Tories saying the current government keep increasing taxes is releveant.

ReputationRep:
    I saw both trust me the Tory one was worse atlease the labour one has some comic value and was right about Michael Howard. I mean people have complained about the advertisment campaign but all of it is true isn't it. The only main party who ever do reasonable party political broadcasts are the democrats at least they say what they plan to do.

(Original post by Howard)
    Huh? Strikes and inflation in the last conservative government? I think you mean the last labor government don't you?
    No tory government sounds about right, there were loads of strikes under thatcher about miners and other industry. Many of the ones under labour have been justified especially the firefighters. There were deffinately more under the tories though.

ReputationRep:
    This is actually one of the fundamental reasons why the Liberal Democrats are the party that gains the most during election time. This is because they focus on very positive campaigning, if only politics could be about the policies and not the people *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    The problem is that neither have anything positive to say. They are bancrupt of ideas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    This is actually one of the fundamental reasons why the Liberal Democrats are the party that gains the most during election time. This is because they focus on very positive campaigning, if only politics could be about the policies and not the people *sigh*
    And maybe because the majorities are nearly always stupid, that's why the Lib Dems will never get anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that neither have anything positive to say. They are bancrupt of ideas.
    Actually I am sure the backbench Labour MPs have a few ideas for advancing the Labour Party!

ReputationRep:
    And maybe because the majorities are nearly always stupid, that's why the Lib Dems will never get anywhere.
    I have absolutely no idea how our voting/majority system works. Could someone briefly explain it to me as I dont seem to be able to make any sense of it :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    No tory government sounds about right, there were loads of strikes under thatcher about miners and other industry. Many of the ones under labour have been justified especially the firefighters. There were deffinately more under the tories though.
    I think we're talking at cross purposes. I'm talking about the Callaghan government which of course was one of hyper inflation of strikes galore.

Thatcher crushed the labor unions when she cam to power and strikes have never been the same since. The odd 1 day protest by teachers, the underground, and fire unions today isn't comparable to what was going on under the late 70's labor government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Actually I am sure the backbench Labour MPs have a few ideas for advancing the Labour Party!
    Like?

ReputationRep:
    Like?
    I don't know exactly but I'm sure they don't involve Blair

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.