Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is there A LOT of maths in a level chemistry ( as and a2) as I would like to choose it but sometime a struggle in maths but get the hang if it after revising. I could get an A at gcse maths if I put the effort in an dis the maths advanced in a level chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    There isn't much maths at AS, and what is there is easy.

There is more at A2. For OCR at least, the last module is meant to be mostly maths, but so far they do seem to cover up the difficult concepts a bit and only work at the surface. It's a bit disappointing really as the maths behind what we've been doing so far is actually very interesting, but they don't teach it as some people don't do A-level maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnLE)
    Is there A LOT of maths in a level chemistry ( as and a2) as I would like to choose it but sometime a struggle in maths but get the hang if it after revising. I could get an A at gcse maths if I put the effort in an dis the maths advanced in a level chemistry?
    Having Maths A level is useful for chemistry as it improves your confidence. Most a level chem maths is not hugely hard, there are a few tricky bits but there's not reason you can't do it without a level maths. Plenty people in my class for chem didn't do maths.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by JohnLE)
    I've moved this to the Chemistry study help forum for you

ReputationRep:
    A2 is quite Mathsy with logs and such.

But logs and general manipulation is about it.

ReputationRep:
    I did AS Maths but not A2 and I'm currently doing okay. I think you should be fine, so long as you find a way to either teach yourself or get taught logs, as there's a huge chapter on acids and bases, and you need to be able to use logs for that.

That's the only place where I've thought AS maths was handy, otherwise I'd say a decent GCSE maths grade should do you fine.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies and moving this to the chemistry thread I won't be taking a level maths the. As I am predicted an A at gcse level. Will most likely be taking chem bio and psychology at a level for medicine. Might change psychology but chem bio for definite.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you can re-arrange an equation, i.e. your algebra is solid AND most importantly you can use your calculator, i.e. you press the right buttons in the correct order, then you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    As long as you can re-arrange an equation, i.e. your algebra is solid AND most importantly you can use your calculator, i.e. you press the right buttons in the correct order, then you should be fine.
    ^THIS, im doing A2 Chemistry without alevel maths and it is absolutely fine!
    I actually regret not picking maths as an alevel, ive come to realise how much i love playing around with numbers and problem solving as you do in Chemistry!

ReputationRep:
    I struggled with maths and struggled with the calculations (CCEA had a good bit of calculations) but with practice it was fine you just really need to know how to rearrange formulas, there is an a level calculation book available, just for practice and it helped a lot

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.