Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What is your budget?
    £7000
    What is going to be the main use of the car?
    Commuting, mainly A roads and motorways
    How many passenger will you usually be carrying?
    How big a boot do you need?
    Medium to large
    Specific tasks you will be doing?
    Driving to work, occasional 400 mile round trips to see family
    Any brands you would prefer? Any brands you hate?
    OK with pretty much anything, though I've always liked VW. Mainly been looking at ~2007/8 Golfs or a more recent Polo, but can't decide whether the inherent "Golfiness" makes up for the extra insurance. Polo would probably be ok, size wise, but I've heard that the smaller engined ones are a bit gutless.

Beyond that, I'm pretty open minded on brands.

Not a huge fan of Citroen/Renault/Peugeot. Don't mind Fords, but every single person I know with a Fiesta older than 4 years has had it crap out on them at least once.
    What features in the car are important to you?
    A nice cockpit, doesn't have to be fancy but I don't want it to feel really cheap and plastic.
    What gearbox do you want?
    Manual
    Are aesthetics of the car important?
    Yes
    Special requirements?
    I'll be moving house and probably city every year for the next couple of years, so fitting as much of my crap as possible into the car would be helpful.

Insurance-wise, I'm a 23 year old male with a licence since June 2010. No points, no accidents. I've been a named driver on the car I've shared with my mum and sister during uni holidays, so should have 3 or so years no claims with Direct Line.
    What is the minimum fuel consumption you require?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    Some companies do not give no claims to named drivers who aren't the main driver, so please check that.

Golf's are decent, obviously more spacious and boot space compared to the Polo.
    If you want a Polo, just aim to get the more powerful variants and one with cruise control maybe.

Direct alternatives are Skoda fabia, Seat Leon, Ibiza, etc

Other cars would be maybe the Honda Civic, Ford Focus, Fiesta, Mazda 3, etc

Maybe consider getting a saloon like a 3 series, etc just look around for insurance prices, prices differ quite a bit car to car and where you live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    You'll only be able to use this no claims if you get insurance with Direct Line again... And it won't be the same discount as a main driver no claims discount.

Skoda Octavia diesel estate?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.