Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really want to do medicine as I love that side of science and it's what I can see myself doing in the future.However I don't know whether I will make the cut and be accepted if I was to apply!
    I have 7a* 3a. Predicted aaaa at as in chemistry biology business psychology. I am planning on dropping business after as as it's not related to medicine.
    My biology and psychology teachers said I could get a* at a2 if I push myself.
    I have relevant work experience already(hospital and old peoples home)
    I also work in a pharmacy and have gained a qualification there(advising on medicines).
    I don't know anything about Ukcats
    Would really appreciate any advice anyone has!!
    Am I suitable?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you would make a very strong medicine applicant!
    Your GCSEs and AS levels are great
    You take UKCAT in the summer, after your AS exams. You take it in an external test centre. It's tests things like basic maths, comprehension, decision-making abilities etc. it's under high time pressures which makes it so difficult.
    If you want advice on anything else feel free to ask, and I can try to help

ReputationRep:
    That makes a bit more sense. Are UKcats something that can improve with practice. I normally struggle with time in exams so might be an issue! Also do you apply to do the rest how does it work?
    Thanks for your help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah sorry to hear about your 3 a's buddy. I know it's tough, but it's fine you'll get over them soon. With that being said, it does mean you're gonna have to limit your options slightly. Perhaps be more realistic and go down the biochem route first. Do your degree in that (get a 1st obv, otherwise you may as well just work in mcdonalds or something). Then think about a 6 year medicine postgrad. The top unis are gonna be out of question with those poor grades unfortunately, so bear that in mind when applying. Message me if you need any extra help
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by laurena1998)
    I really want to do medicine as I love that side of science and it's what I can see myself doing in the future.However I don't know whether I will make the cut and be accepted if I was to apply!
    I have 7a* 3a. Predicted aaaa at as in chemistry biology business psychology. I am planning on dropping business after as as it's not related to medicine.
    My biology and psychology teachers said I could get a* at a2 if I push myself.
    I have relevant work experience already(hospital and old peoples home)
    I also work in a pharmacy and have gained a qualification there(advising on medicines).
    I don't know anything about Ukcats
    Would really appreciate any advice anyone has!!
    Am I suitable?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, you are.

Some colleges at Oxbridge require 3 sciences (out of maths, physics, chemistry, biology) at A level, which you do not have, but other places won't care at all. In fact, UCL prefers applicants to have a third 'contrasting' arts/social science subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE]

Yes, you are.

Some colleges at Oxbridge require 3 sciences (out of maths, physics, chemistry, biology) at A level, which you do not have, but other places won't care at all. In fact, UCL prefers applicants to have a third 'contrasting' arts/social science subject.

I wasn't planning on applying to Oxbridge as I think it would be a waste of an application! Thanks for your advice I will look at UCL but I know that is one of the top ones so not sure if I'd stand a good chance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheeseandbiscuits)
    Ah sorry to hear about your 3 a's buddy. I know it's tough, but it's fine you'll get over them soon. With that being said, it does mean you're gonna have to limit your options slightly. Perhaps be more realistic and go down the biochem route first. Do your degree in that (get a 1st obv, otherwise you may as well just work in mcdonalds or something). Then think about a 6 year medicine postgrad. The top unis are gonna be out of question with those poor grades unfortunately, so bear that in mind when applying. Message me if you need any extra help
    Is that sarcasm I detect?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.