Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Citizenship: Do you think the media portrays ethnic minorities fairly? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you think the media portrays ethnic minorities fairly?
    Results hidden until poll closes.

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,
    This is a survey of some sort for my Citizenship CA, and I wanted opinions from this generation since we see media in a different light, ranging from the news on TV to social media sites/apps.
    So, TSR, do you think the media portrays ethnic minorities fairly?
    (Evidence for your opinion would be appreciated, but not necessary!)

ReputationRep:
    Certainly not, in my opinion... a white man kills another person and the title would be 'Man arrested for murder'.. whereas, if a muslim man was to do the same thing.. it would be 'Muslim man arrest for murder'. with ignorance flying around everywhere, people start associating muslims with murder.. stupid i know.. but humans are that easily manipulated and their ideological values easily influenced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingabu8)
    Certainly not, in my opinion... a white man kills another person and the title would be 'Man arrested for murder'.. whereas, if a muslim man was to do the same thing.. it would be 'Muslim man arrest for murder'. with ignorance flying around everywhere, people start associating muslims with murder.. stupid i know.. but humans are that easily manipulated and their ideological values easily influenced.
    With that being said, Muslim's aren't an ethnic minority, however true the point is. No one says "Christian man arrested for murder."

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sorry misread... but u get the idea ;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingabu8)
    Islam is a religion, not an ethnicity. So even if you think Muslims are treated unfairly by the media that has nothing to do with OP's question.

@OP, I wouldn't say so. Ethnic minorities are well represented on the BBC and Channel 4 and I've never noticed cases being reported differently on the basis of someone's skin colour.

ReputationRep:
    i said sorry i misread the question...! get over it.. and the media does not just consist of BBC and channel 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Islam is a religion, not an ethnicity. So even if you think Muslims are treated unfairly by the media that has nothing to do with OP's question.

@OP, I wouldn't say so. Ethnic minorities are well represented on the BBC and Channel 4 and I've never noticed cases being reported differently on the basis of someone's skin colour.
    I agree. Nonetheless, I think the portrayal of ethnic minorities varies depending on which news channel you're watching and/or which newspaper you're reading.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so. I'm Indian, and whenever I see an Asian kid on Disney (my baby sis -_-) they look and sound like they've come from a village.

Anyone who watched (or was forced to sit through) 'Sonny with a Chance' would know what I mean.

And yeah, although it's not as exaggerated, I think it's presented as such in the news, BBC etc. as well, but it's changing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think that ethnic minorities ARE fairly represented in the media. I think more and more now ethnic minorities are being represented on reality shows, soaps etc. Sometimes they are played to a stereotype but so are ethnic majorities a lot of the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misha_k)
    I don't think so. I'm Indian, and whenever I see an Asian kid on Disney (my baby sis -_-) they look and sound like they've come from a village.

Anyone who watched (or was forced to sit through) 'Sonny with a Chance' would know what I mean.

And yeah, although it's not as exaggerated, I think it's presented as such in the news, BBC etc. as well, but it's changing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Unbearable)
    I think that ethnic minorities ARE fairly represented in the media. I think more and more now ethnic minorities are being represented on reality shows, soaps etc. Sometimes they are played to a stereotype but so are ethnic majorities a lot of the time.
    (Original post by tengentoppa)

Say, in the news, do you think the way Michael Brown and Eric Garner were portrayed was too fair, fair or unfair?

ReputationRep:
    hindus and sikh are not treated fairly due to the media always using the collective term "asian" instead of muslim

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sdotd)
    hindus and sikh are not treated fairly due to the media always using the collective term "asian" instead of muslim
    That, or they can't tell the difference XD we all look the same lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.