Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

benefits help watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am an 18 year old full time student.. my mother used to claim for me but she has recently died leaving no assets. I have to move house into a 1 bed place but I have no income. What benefits am I entitled to if any? P.s. I do suffer with mental health difficulties (depression, anxiety and autism) Thankyou
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Are you disabled? Full time students generally aren't entitled to benefits. But if your parents have died or you're estranged from them, you're entitled to income support (or ESA if disabled) and housing benefit. Full time students are exempt from council tax.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I have currently applied for Personal Independence Payment but it takes around 6 months for an initial assessment. I dont know if I am entitled to this benefit because mental illness sometimes isnt a requirement, I did start a part-time job before my mother died (November) but since this happened I haven't been back since and the doctor has signed me off sick so I dont know what to do. I cannot cope with this right now and my college.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    You need to speak to citizens advice and get a benefits check. The council should have a welfare department who can help you as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    You need to speak to citizens advice and get a benefits check. The council should have a welfare department who can help you as well.
    Yes I will do that Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry for your loss, it's especially difficult at a critical time in your life and I hope you have some other family to help you. Are you at school or 6th form college? If so they should be able to put you in touch with a social worker who can help with advice on benefits. Although you are over 18 you should be deemed vulnerable (don't argue about it, it's helpful) and hence the council have to help you find a place to live.

If you want to post the town you live in I'll see if I can find a social services contact. The homeless charity, Shelter, are IME very good about helping young people http://england.shelter.org.uk/ There is a freephone number here to claim benefits https://www.gov.uk/income-support/how-to-claim but you probably have to apply for housing benefit separately. You can ask for emergency benefit payments.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Unless the systerm has changed, you will be asked if you want to apply for housing benefit at the same time. Income support entitles you to full housing benefit for your situation.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.