Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In the last few days we saw disgusting and terrible scenes in Paris, muslim terrorist killed few people as the targeted Charlie hebdo which published insulting cartoons about prophet of Islam. It was said to be a attack on freedom of speech. However in 2009 the same Charlie hebdo fired Maurice Sinet after he said "he will go far in life " about the son of Sarkozy who was said to have converted to Judaism and marry a jewish woman. In 2014, French court stopped the comedian Mbala Mbala's show as it contained some material about jews ( he regularly jokes about blacks but hey, they are not important), he was barred from coming to the UK by the home secretary under the guise of hate speech.

Holocaust Denial or saying anything about it is illegal, it may be vile but illegal......

Seems freedom of speech these days means you can only insult or mock Islam, however it is a hate speech to even mention the J word

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by golden tribe)
    Seems freedom of speech these days means you can only insult or mock Islam, however it is a hate speech to even mention the J word
    That's half true. Both Islam and Judaism are something of a grey area, and there are somethings people will tolerate and some things they wont. But the general consensus is not particular fond of people making fun of Islam either. Making fun of Christians, Atheists, Hindus (to some extend) and pretty much any other religion is perfectly acceptable.

There are also reasons for it. When someone makes a joke about Jews, they are making fun of the race, people rarely if ever make fun of the religion. Whereas most jokes about Islam focus on the religion (though there are numerous examples where the target is Arabs, South Asians or some other group associated with Islam). Making fun of someones choice (i.e religion) is far more acceptable than something they have no control over (i.e race).

That said, I think people should have the right to make whatever jokes they want without having to fear violence, particularly if it's an environment that is purely voluntary.

I am also completely against the holocaust denial laws.

ReputationRep:
    There's a difference between libel toward a living person, and drawing a long dead paedo.

ReputationRep:
    Islamophobes will still defend holocaust denial laws till the cows come home

ReputationRep:
    From what I've read, it seems that, when it comes to offending Jews, you'll get in more legal trouble.

ReputationRep:
    freedom of speech should apply to both cases despite the immorality associated with each.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    There's a difference between libel toward a living person, and drawing a long dead paedo.
    So what ? I should still be allowed to make an offensive remark about the holocaust.

So if Muhammad was a 'supposed' paedophile living in the 21st century it wouldn't be alright ?

ReputationRep:
    What i am saying is either full freedom of speech ( not inciting hate or violence) equal across the board or specific groups should not be targeted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uer23)
    So what ? I should still be allowed to make an offensive remark about the holocaust.
    Isn't the fact that millions of people were killed offensive enough?

(Original post by uer23)
    So if Muhammad was a 'supposed' paedophile living in the 21st century it wouldn't be alright ?
    a) he wasn't "supposed", he definitely was.
    b) paedophillia is a crime and disgusting, so he'd deserve to be publicly shamed.

ReputationRep:
    jokes offensive to jews should be totally fair game
    in fact, this is probably only in france because jews in the american media get joked about all the time

ReputationRep:
    I don't care about France or those attacks. Nobody was crying when France bombed Ivory Coast, Libya or Mali.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    Isn't the fact that millions of people were killed offensive enough?
    I should still have the right to offend under the freedom of speech banner, the topic of which is more offensive than the other and what is a legitimate form of satire is all a subjective matter. All forms of satire should be acceptable.

People who defend holocaust denial legislation have no legs to stand on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    I don't care about France or those attacks. Nobody was crying when France bombed Ivory Coast, Libya or Mali.
    Western lives are more important then the rest of the world

ReputationRep:
    Western lives are more important then the rest of the world
    Western Lives are more important to Western people.

Much as Nigerian lives are more important to Nigerian people. I'm sure over in Nigeria they couldn't give less of a **** about the events in Paris over the past week.

ReputationRep:
    In the last few days we saw disgusting and terrible scenes in Paris, muslim terrorist killed few people as the targeted Charlie hebdo which published insulting cartoons about prophet of Islam. It was said to be a attack on freedom of speech. However in 2009 the same Charlie hebdo fired Maurice Sinet after he said "he will go far in life " about the son of Sarkozy who was said to have converted to Judaism and marry a jewish woman. In 2014, French court stopped the comedian Mbala Mbala's show as it contained some material about jews ( he regularly jokes about blacks but hey, they are not important), he was barred from coming to the UK by the home secretary under the guise of hate speech.

Holocaust Denial or saying anything about it is illegal, it may be vile but illegal......

Charlie Hebdo is completely within their right to fire an employee, this is by no means the same as violent censorship.

As for other issues, yes, there are huge problems with the status of freedom of speech all across Europe. Perhaps people will finally start to see these issues for what they are given the recent publicity for the cause of freedom.

I hope hate speech laws become a subject of public hate sooner rather than later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Western Lives are more important to Western people.

Much as Nigerian lives are more important to Nigerian people. I'm sure over in Nigeria they couldn't give less of a **** about the events in Paris over the past week.
    That, and that sort of thing happens all the time in areas where islam is strife.

ReputationRep:
    France in not a person

Honestly this is getting annoying

It seems some people want to have a conversation about this but are so ignorant of the facts and issues they are making themselves look stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PopaPork)
    France in not a person

Honestly this is getting annoying

It seems some people want to have a conversation about this but are so ignorant of the facts and issues they are making themselves look stupid.
    What a stupid comment, France is not a person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZainabHAHaque)
    From what I've read, it seems that, when it comes to offending Jews, you'll get in more legal trouble.
    For done unkown reason this issue seems to have drawn out two types of people trying to make holocaust denial a talking point.

The right wing fringe neo maxi types and your 'I haven't quite blended in with western society' Muslim.
    I have no idea how the recent events in Paris can be tied in with holocaust denial

ReputationRep:
    What a stupid comment, France is not a person.
    Not really as it seem you the OP thinks a country can be 'a hypocrite'

A country can not be a hypocrite a country is simply a country.

'hypocrite'

a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
    a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

As I said ignorance is getting annoying yet the ignorant think they have a opinion when they really don't they should be patted on the head and told to go play in the corner as the adults are talking:rolleyes:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.