Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Would really appreciate some advise from Imperial students. This is going to be one of my daughters choices and as I say would really appreciate hearing from students who go there.

Would you say you have to be a really outgoing person to fit in? She isn't shy but more on the quieter side.

As a parent the crime rate of a large city is always a concern, I have read that this isn't an issue in London center, is that true? I mean no more so than any other large city.

She knows someone who attends Oxford and they say the lecturers/tutors there are brilliant and extremely helpful and supportive. Is this the same at Imperial?

I read that if you are lucky enough to get through to the interview stage at Imperial you are more likely to receive an offer than getting through to the interview stage at some other Universities. Is there any truth at all in this?

Any additional points you feel should be taken into consideration would also be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Toni

ReputationRep:
    i do not go there, but from what I've heard from some friends .. its a wonderful experience and a fantastic university with highly skilled lecturers. and in terms of being shy and quiet, don't worry about it ... you tend to make friends really easily in university as everyone else is in the same position as you, they don't no each other. and don't worry about the crime rate, other than small petty crimes theres nothing to worry about. london is fantastic and very beautiful city to live in.

Goodluck to her

ReputationRep:
    Going by the spelling of 'advise' and 'center' I am going to assume you are American and answer accordingly.

(Original post by toni_watsy)
    Would really appreciate some advise from Imperial students.
    Will 2nd-hand advice, and advice from someone who lived up the road, then worked across the road do? I have not been a student there, but working in IT, I am very familiar with their reputation in my industry.

Would you say you have to be a really outgoing person to fit in?
    In the UK? No. :-) Anyone that went through "show and tell" in school will be confident and outgoing by British standards! Also, London is packed with overseas students, many of whom are quiet and bookish (and many more of whom are bloody noisy and loud!).

As a parent the crime rate of a large city is always a concern, I have read that this isn't an issue in London center, is that true? I mean no more so than any other large city.
    Despite what our media want us to believe, London isn't bad at all. Yes, there are areas you don't want to go, but they are easily identified. New York it ain't.

She knows someone who attends Oxford and they say the lecturers/tutors there are brilliant and extremely helpful and supportive. Is this the same at Imperial?
    Imperial is one of our top 5 universities, in some subjects, a world leader.

Any additional points you feel should be taken into consideration would also be much appreciated.
    An Imperial College degree would be a great foundation for a great career, earned in one of the world's greatest cities, with campuses in some of the most elite locations in and around London. The people who get the chance to study there are very fortunate people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingabu8)
    i do not go there, but from what I've heard from some friends .. its a wonderful experience and a fantastic university with highly skilled lecturers. and in terms of being shy and quiet, don't worry about it ... you tend to make friends really easily in university as everyone else is in the same position as you, they don't no each other. and don't worry about the crime rate, other than small petty crimes theres nothing to worry about. london is fantastic and very beautiful city to live in.

Goodluck to her
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)

Will 2nd-hand advice, and advice from someone who lived up the road, then worked across the road do? I have not been a student there, but working in IT, I am very familiar with their reputation in my industry.

Yes of course any advise is very welcome

In the UK? No. :-) Anyone that went through "show and tell" in school will be confident and outgoing by British standards! Also, London is packed with overseas students, many of whom are quiet and bookish (and many more of whom are bloody noisy and loud!).

Apologies that my spelling lead you to believe I am American. I live in the UK. Your phrase quiet and bookish actually describes her perfectly, so glad to hear that wouldn't stop her from fitting in.

Despite what our media want us to believe, London isn't bad at all. Yes, there are areas you don't want to go, but they are easily identified. New York it ain't.

That's reassuring. Ye the media can be scarey.

Imperial is one of our top 5 universities, in some subjects, a world leader.

An Imperial College degree would be a great foundation for a great career, earned in one of the world's greatest cities, with campuses in some of the most elite locations in and around London. The people who get the chance to study there are very fortunate people
    Well fingers crossed she will be one of those fortunate people

ReputationRep:
    Is it true they get over 15,000 applicants for 2,000 places?

ReputationRep:
    Is it true they get over 15,000 applicants for 2,000 places?
    Yes that's true, you can check out the statistics here: http://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/impe...de-2013-14.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Ex-Imperial graduate here in Aeronautics

Hi

Would really appreciate some advise from Imperial students. This is going to be one of my daughters choices and as I say would really appreciate hearing from students who go there.

Would you say you have to be a really outgoing person to fit in? She isn't shy but more on the quieter side.

>>It's a science and engineering dominant university, so you get quite a bit of quiet and bookish people, especially the post-graduates. You don't have to be outgoing to fit-in.

>>Take general safety precautions and you'll be alright. I've lived in London for over 10 years without any crime related incidents.

>>Absolutely. You get the stereotype absent minded professors, and you get those that are eccentric. However, all lecturers I've come across in there are very intelligent and they are helpful in general. They can be very demanding from an academic perspective, and this is a good thing.

I read that if you are lucky enough to get through to the interview stage at Imperial you are more likely to receive an offer than getting through to the interview stage at some other Universities. Is there any truth at all in this?

>>I didn't have an interview, but had to write a long personal statement. My department's intake is 1 for every 4, so less than say IT or Mechanical so that may be a reason why there's no interview.

>>It's a very demanding university and for undergraduate, the drop-out rate for 1st year is pretty high partly because some students under-estimate the amount of work needed. It's also very competitive as well especially for undergraduates. I went in as a post-graduate and the atmosphere is only slightly less competitive.

There are lots of coursework and exams are very difficult (they use completely different questions every year and you're given less time than other universities but expect to tackle the same amount of questions).

It's hard work, but it's worth it.

My one complain is that the university's administration tends to take a longer time to get things done.

Good luck!

Many thanks in advance.

Toni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geminist)
    Ex-Imperial graduate here in Aeronautics
    Thank you for all the information and the good luck wish

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Many thanks in advance.

Toni
    Hey, I'm a first year mechanical engineering student and so i may be of some help. I've been here almost 6 months now and can hopefully help a little, even though i haven't done the whole course.

So far I can't see any reason why you can't fit in. Okay - there are obviously the stereotypical quiet, study type people but there are also people who go out, so there is good diversity. I'm sure anyone can find a group they feel welcome in.

I can only speak from my 6 months at uni, but the crime in the area around Imperial isn't a problem as long as you are careful. The uni is in probably one of the nicest parts of London too. When you go out, its always best to go out with more than one person and people who you can rely on.

All of my tutors so far have been very helpful. You get a personal tutor meeting every 2 weeks where you can ask anything - whether its personal or to do with uni work etc. I have always received e-mails back from tutors very quickly. You do get the odd lecturer who is maybe too slow, or talks too fast, but i'm sure this is the same for every uni!

I'm not sure on this one, but online you can see all the statistics to do with applications and entries. You can see what subjects are most and least competitive for places too. I think the ratio ranges from maybe 3:1 to 9:1 success ratio, but don't quote me on that!

The one thing I would say is that you should always apply to do a subject that you will enjoy and have interest in. The workload can sometimes get heavy, and doing potentially 3/4/more years studying something you don't care too much about isn't a good idea.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.