Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Double Award Science or single sciences? Need advice please. watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I've just finished taking my GCE 'O' Level exams (Singapore) and have taken the following subjects:

- English
    - Maths
    - Combined Science (Biology and Chemistry)
    - Combined Humanities (Social Studies and History)
    - Principles of Accounts

and a language, for which I got a pretty good grade (it was a B).

I've been moving around a lot, meaning to say I've been switching curriculums a lot too. Hence, I've only had a year or so to prepare for these exams which I took in October/November last year.

I get my results today, and truth be told, I'm a nervous wreck.

Fortunately though, where I live, we have the option of taking IGCSEs as a private candidate and I have been thinking of doing this should the worst actually happen today. The subjects on offer include the Double Award Science (Physics, Chemistry and Biology) and just Biology (0620), Chemistry (0610) and Physics.

Since I have a very minimal Physics background, I am thinking of taking just Biology and Chemistry. My questions here are:

1. Do these two count for separate subjects on their own?
    2. Would I still be able to use my passes from the 'O' Levels to apply to IB/A Levels?
    3. Would I be at a disadvantage to students who take Double Award Science?

Thank you so much!

Edit: Sorry guys, one more question - what is meant by 'combining in the same exam series'?

ReputationRep:
    GCE isn't the same as O-levels. GCE is A-level. GCSE is the modern equivalent of O-level, but some countries still do O-levels.
    I will assume you are talking about GCSE/O-levels.

1. Yes if you can just take the two
    2. Yes
    3. It depends which subjects you apply for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    GCE isn't the same as O-levels. GCE is A-level. GCSE is the modern equivalent of O-level, but some countries still do O-levels.

2. Yes
    Thank you for your reply. Yes, I was talking about the GCSE/O-Levels. They're referred to as GCE O where I come from, so I do apologise for the confusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)

2. Yes
    False acc.

Didn't it occur to you as soon as the OP mentioned O level that they might not be from UK - in which case they would indeed be GCE O levels?

Unless the OP is 45 years old, there's no reason they would even mention O levels if they're from here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bungycord)
    Thank you for your reply. Yes, I was talking about the GCSE/O-Levels. They're referred to as GCE O where I come from, so I do apologise for the confusion.
    It should be GCSE as they are taken during secondary education and also to avoid confusion with GCEs(A-levels).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.