The Student Room Group

History Aptitude Test

Scroll to see replies

Hi daintyduck! i remember speaking to you about oxford agessss ago.
Reply 81
Cheers, application is turning into a bit of a botch job, but hopefully I can pull it out the bag.
Reply 82
Consie, why dont you think it is going well? From your comments on the HAT threads you seem to have answered well
Reply 83
Yes I thought the HAT went well, but I've been off a lot this term due to shoulder dislocation and ill health. I only got well again on friday and was planning on writing a stormer of an essay, but now ive just got to send in one i did at the start of the year, just revamped a bit - not what i was planning. British History teacher has also been off since the start of term, so havent been set any essays or learnt that much, which is a shame coz i wanted to do it on British history. Sending in a Nazi essay will double my preparation load since i need to be hot on British imerpial history (mentioned in PS) as well as Nazi now, instead of just focusing on British.
^ Identical essay dilemma.
Utterly identical. :s-smilie:
Reply 85
Life is a biatch isnt it?!
Reply 86
aint it just :wink: :rolleyes:
Hahaha oh yes.
Ah well, I'm taking solace in that odds are I've failed the HAT, thus I'm not going to get an interview, and all of this stressing out about the written work is utterly pointless.
Wahay!
Reply 88
I think more people will get interview offers than they think, only 17% of 10s of thousands of people dont get invited. My teacher is being a pain, she said it didnt have enough detail to warrent 20/20, so i put more in, and now she says it has too much. is 2,100 words too much? I could probably cut it to 1900 to make it concise and punchy, would that length be ideal?
Reply 89
With regards to written work, what exactly is everyone sending in? Is everyone sending in absolutely flawless work? Because I have two essays, one is a twenty out of twenty, but on a subject I don't really know a great deal about, and another, which I've decided to use, is an 18 or 19 out of 20, but on a subject I can talk about, and also with a few flaws in the essay which I can discuss in an interview?
Reply 90
Iv sent an essay graded B++, not even an A. Yet its on a topic that I myself am more interested in, in terms of knowing all about it and arguing any topic from that period fluently (I got a B because we did it in class and had no opportunity for revision, the guy at the open day said they wanted an essay under timed conditions, then after i sent it off i got th letter saing done in own time). The interview is more important than written work, therefore i see written work as there to aid you in the interview, almost to dictate the course of your interview before you've arrived.
Go for the one you're willing to discuss :smile:
And consie, mine was 1800 words, and my teacher said that would be about right for an idea of my writing style and knowledge.
I'd much rather risk not getting an interview than getting an interview and doing a 'bunny in the headlights' when I got a question on it. And the top couple of marks is often interpretation anyway, what your teacher dislikes they may not =]
If you are doing the History Admissions for Oxford then it is only the old question 3 that we do now. There is no outside knowledge required or even your a-level content. Im doing mine at 9am on Wednesday the 31st. Good lukc.
Original post by emsy88
hmmm Im just reading over past papers and looking for my notes from my History A level (now finished) so I can answer the knowledge one. I really hope I dont do embarrasingly badly!

Good luck everyone! :smile:

btw what time are you all sitting it?
This is possibly the most impressive neco I've ever seen. Almost twelve years...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending