Turn on thread page Beta

How to overcome homesickness watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Back at Uni after the break, but feel sooo homesick. I just don't get it.
    It's not even my first year at uni. I usually feel this way, its like I wanna cry every time I think of home and how long term is - it's pathetic really.
    Any good advice on how other people got over it appreciated.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Make your place seem as homely as possible, namely I'd say minimise travel and connections with home while you're at uni, keep good housemates, take part in new activities be it exploring cooking more or starting to exercise/go to the gym.

ReputationRep:
    Doing things with my flatmates so I spent less time by myself really helped me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paxicus)
    Back at Uni after the break, but feel sooo homesick. I just don't get it.
    It's not even my first year at uni. I usually feel this way, its like I wanna cry every time I think of home and how long term is - it's pathetic really.
    Any good advice on how other people got over it appreciated.
    Keep yourself busy. Gives you less time to dwell on things. If you have plenty of spare time at the moment, hang out with people more or join a society or sports club

ReputationRep:
    I'm thirs year now and I still have this problem. I also suffer with depression so I just always feel like I want to go home! Especially after being home so long for Christmas. But now I'm back and just concentrating on my work and putting my efforts into that instead of always getting upset.

ReputationRep:
    I would say I recently completely got over my homesickness. I'm not even sure if it was homesickness or just a way to cope with not fitting in. Don't constantly think about home or think uni is just a temporary place in between going home, make your room homely as the above poster said, talk and meet as much people as you can, join clubs and focus on your work or your hobbies, organize stuff and have plans, even small things like exploring the area and trying out food or stuff to do around will make you feel like the new environment is your new home and it's awesome because you'll have your real home waiting for you the next break!

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the advice guys, as you say keeping yourself busy certainly helps

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.