Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

So with people getting offer form Oxbridge this week I kind of regret not applying. I think it's due to believing I had a shot of getting an interview/offer coupled with not even attempting to apply to Oxford and feeling of 'what if'. And it just feels like I've missed a great opportunity. I think the reason is I didn't apply originally was because I never thought I was good enough and before 6th form I had no aspiration of going to Oxbridge. At gcse I got 6 As, 5 Bs and a C, however at AS got 4 As in bio, chem, maths and sociology. This completely surprised me. And I think it has took me until now to believe that I actually am good academically but now it's too late to apply to Oxford. I have offers/interviews from 4/5 (Warwick,Bath,York,Imperial) of my unis but they just seem inferior to oxford. Anyways I kind of want some closure, do you guys think I had a chance of an interview? I would have applied for chemsitry, my UMS was like 280. I know oxford value GCSEs quite highly and mine are below your average oxford applicant. I know there are other factors such as PS and college choice.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ACarter8)
    Hi guys,

So with people getting offer form Oxbridge this week I kind of regret not applying. I think it's due to believing I had a shot of getting an interview/offer coupled with not even attempting to apply to Oxford and feeling of 'what if'. And it just feels like I've missed a great opportunity. I think the reason is I didn't apply originally was because I never thought I was good enough and before 6th form I had no aspiration of going to Oxbridge. At gcse I got 6 As, 5 Bs and a C, however at AS got 4 As in bio, chem, maths and sociology. This completely surprised me. And I think it has took me until now to believe that I actually am good academically but now it's too late to apply to Oxford. I have offers/interviews from 4/5 (Warwick,Bath,York,Imperial) of my unis but they just seem inferior to oxford. Anyways I kind of want some closure, do you guys think I had a chance of an interview? I would have applied for chemsitry, my UMS was like 280. I know oxford value GCSEs quite highly and mine are below your average oxford applicant. I know there are other factors such as PS and college choice.
    You probably would have had a good chance of getting an interview, yeah. Your GCSEs would have made an offer unlikely (although not impossible) but given that the Chemistry department interviews almost all their applicants, it is likely you would have got an interview.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Hi! I believe that you'll have a shot at an interview. Maybe about + / - 75%, especially if your PS and reference are strong.

My grades were fine, but I think that my pre-interview tests were horrible (I don't know my scores but I didn't do any practice and couldn't finish), and I got in. I only applied because there was an extra space on UCAS, I never once thought I'd get in. So I think they see your application as a whole instead of just one aspect. A couple of my friends had better grades than me and didn't make it.

Btw, college choice doesn't really matter

And btw, your university offers are not bad, Imperial and Warwick are highly regarded, and Bath and York are very decent unis really. Congratulations on those offers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    You probably would have had a good chance of getting an interview, yeah. Your GCSEs would have made an offer unlikely (although not impossible) but given that the Chemistry department interviews almost all their applicants, it is likely you would have got an interview.
    Thank you for the reply. I'm not sure this makes me feel better or worse knowing there was a good chance I would have got an interview.

So I have an interview at Imperial coming up and this is my first choice by a distance from the unis I've applied to. If I don't get the offer from Imperial, there's a slight part of me that wants to take a gap year and apply to Oxford then. I recognise that this would be very risky and sort of putting all my eggs in one basket. Do you have any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michelle37)
    Hi! I believe that you'll have a shot at an interview. Maybe about + / - 75%, especially if your PS and reference are strong.

My grades were fine, but I think that my pre-interview tests were horrible (I don't know my scores but I didn't do any practice and couldn't finish), and I got in. I only applied because there was an extra space on UCAS, I never once thought I'd get in. So I think they see your application as a whole instead of just one aspect. A couple of my friends had better grades than me and didn't make it.

Btw, college choice doesn't really matter

And btw, your university offers are not bad, Imperial and Warwick are highly regarded, and Bath and York are very decent unis really. Congratulations on those offers!
    Thank you for the reply and congrats on Oxford.

I know my uni offers are from high quality unis, but to me Oxford is just so much more. I think it's the lure of the Oxbridge elitism and status that attracts me most and I think it's a bad thing and I know they're the wrong reasons but idk. Kind of confused atm. Not sure whether to take a gap year and apply to Oxford next year, when they can't refuse to interview me because of my (hopefully) up to standard A level grades.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Thank you for the reply. I'm not sure this makes me feel better or worse knowing there was a good chance I would have got an interview.

So I have an interview at Imperial coming up and this is my first choice by a distance from the unis I've applied to. If I don't get the offer from Imperial, there's a slight part of me that wants to take a gap year and apply to Oxford then. I recognise that this would be very risky and sort of putting all my eggs in one basket. Do you have any advice?
    Honestly, I wouldn't recommend it. Unless you genuinely do not think you'd be happy anywhere else (which is unlikely) or you would have done a gap year anyway, I really think it's an absolutely huge gamble that is more likely than not going to set you back a year. You have got a chance to get in but even if your grades were perfect, you still couldn't say with absolute certainty that you'd get in because the Oxbridge admissions process is unpredictable. So honestly, I wouldn't recommend it. It's up to you and as I said, there is a chance of you getting in, but it's a gamble I would never want to take myself.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the reply and congrats on Oxford.

I know my uni offers are from high quality unis, but to me Oxford is just so much more. I think it's the lure of the Oxbridge elitism and status that attracts me most and I think it's a bad thing and I know they're the wrong reasons but idk. Kind of confused atm. Not sure whether to take a gap year and apply to Oxford next year, when they can't refuse to interview me because of my (hopefully) up to standard A level grades.
    Hmm. Well status can be both good and bad; it can lead to a very nice first job, but also comes with a lot of expectations. Being in such a university can bring its own pressure as well since there's a high status involved and Oxbridge tends to work their students' butts off compared to other unis.

Whether you want to take a gap year is up to you of course, but I would seriously advise you to consider what you can do during the gap. They may ask you about your gap year experiences and want to know how have you used the time to explore your subject and developed as a person. It's probably better if you have a comprehensive plan on what you want to do and believe that you won't be lost behind (some people have to push themselves through and can't afford gap years or they will lag behind). Ultimately it's only wise to take a gap if you will benefit from it a lot more than just "a second chance at Oxford".

Also, having grades isn't the only thing, they can and will refuse interviews/reject after interviews for a lot of reasons. There's some luck involved, so like I said, don't consider a gap just to apply there again- only do it if you have other good reasons as well.
    All the best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    Honestly, I wouldn't recommend it. Unless you genuinely do not think you'd be happy anywhere else (which is unlikely) or you would have done a gap year anyway, I really think it's an absolutely huge gamble that is more likely than not going to set you back a year. You have got a chance to get in but even if your grades were perfect, you still couldn't say with absolute certainty that you'd get in because the Oxbridge admissions process is unpredictable. So honestly, I wouldn't recommend it. It's up to you and as I said, there is a chance of you getting in, but it's a gamble I would never want to take myself.
    Thank you for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michelle37)
    Hmm. Well status can be both good and bad; it can lead to a very nice first job, but also comes with a lot of expectations. Being in such a university can bring its own pressure as well since there's a high status involved and Oxbridge tends to work their students' butts off compared to other unis.

Whether you want to take a gap year is up to you of course, but I would seriously advise you to consider what you can do during the gap. They may ask you about your gap year experiences and want to know how have you used the time to explore your subject and developed as a person. It's probably better if you have a comprehensive plan on what you want to do and believe that you won't be lost behind (some people have to push themselves through and can't afford gap years or they will lag behind). Ultimately it's only wise to take a gap if you will benefit from it a lot more than just "a second chance at Oxford".

Also, having grades isn't the only thing, they can and will refuse interviews/reject after interviews for a lot of reasons. There's some luck involved, so like I said, don't consider a gap just to apply there again- only do it if you have other good reasons as well.
    All the best!
    Thank you for the advice!

All the best to you too 😊

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.