Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Corsa 1.2 16 SXI makes strange noise when starting the engine. watch

ReputationRep:
    My dads giving me his old car as he's getting a new one, it's a pretty old 52 plate Corsa with 106,000 miles on the clock,

However when you start the engine it makes this strange noise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqOSHzrto5Q Only from 0.00 - 0.11 is applicable.

It sounds like that however I'm not really sure what it is. It does it every single time you start the car up, it's loud, noisy and quite embarrassing too!

Also is 106,000 too many miles on the clock for a first car? I don't want it conching out on me in 6 months having to buy another car.

Any advice appreciated

ReputationRep:
    What's your engine temperature? Coolant level ok?

A car that's well looked after can run like a dream on 106,000; regular servicing, owner maintenance etc. A car that's been neglected can start to crap out at 50,000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastyCoke)
    What's your engine temperature? Coolant level ok?

A car that's well looked after can run like a dream on 106,000; regular servicing, owner maintenance etc. A car that's been neglected can start to crap out at 50,000.
    As far as I know everything is perfect and it's just been and passed it's MOT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parry_93)
    As far as I know everything is perfect and it's just been and passed it's MOT.
    Just so we're clear, you're talking about the fan kicking in on high speed?

MOT doesn't really count for poop. An MOT basically means that the wheels won't come off within 10 miles of you driving off the garage's forecourt.

ReputationRep:
    Just so we're clear, you're talking about the fan kicking in on high speed?

MOT doesn't really count for poop. An MOT basically means that the wheels won't come off within 10 miles of you driving off the garage's forecourt.
    Errrrr, I think so!

It basically does it every time on starting.

ReputationRep:
    Next time it happens, record the engine temperature from your dashboard. If the car has just been turned on, it should be very low. If it's showing a high temperature (90-100) then it may be a temperature sensor problem.

Firstly though, make SURE you have coolant in the reservoir.

ReputationRep:
    fan kicking in or the tapping ' they all do that, sir' noise of the poorly maintained hydralic tappets ?

ReputationRep:
    Next time it happens, record the engine temperature from your dashboard. If the car has just been turned on, it should be very low. If it's showing a high temperature (90-100) then it may be a temperature sensor problem.

Firstly though, make SURE you have coolant in the reservoir.
    I'm pretty sure it starts off around 80.

I'll come back tomorrow and try do a sound bite too.

ReputationRep:
    I have the exact same car. it's also my first car been driving it for about a month now, although daddy didn't give it me!

Anyways, my corsa has 132,000 Miles on the clock. Runs perfect and is a tidy little car.

No complaints even though my insurance is double what the value of the car is.

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't be that high initially. Needs looking at. Mine takes a good 5 - 10 minutes or so to go upto the ~80 mark.

ReputationRep:

faulty sensor........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob9767)
    I have the exact same car. it's also my first car been driving it for about a month now, although daddy didn't give it me!

Anyways, my corsa has 132,000 Miles on the clock. Runs perfect and is a tidy little car.

No complaints even though my insurance is double what the value of the car is.
    I think we got it in 2007 (it's a 52 plate) and we've still got it now. So it's nothing fancy or new.

Insurance is around £1000 for the year so it's cheap for a first car.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.