Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey there !

I want to abandon my University in Poland and begin studying in UK, I'd like to pick up some job and part time course at Open University.

I heard that in order to receive loan that can cover my Tuition fees I have to work in England for at least three months, is that true ? I can't find any information that would confirm that.

If I will do that is it sure that I will get my loan or final decision can depend on someone's private mind ?

And in unlikely event of failing studies, do I have to repay whole Tuition Fee ?

Thanks in advance and wishing you good night for those night owls who are not sleeping already.

Ps. Sorry for my English, is not that perfect yet but I hope I'm clear enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadMango)
    Hey there !

I want to abandon my University in Poland and begin studying in UK, I'd like to pick up some job and part time course at Open University.

I heard that in order to receive loan that can cover my Tuition fees I have to work in England for at least three months, is that true ? I can't find any information that would confirm that.

If I will do that is it sure that I will get my loan or final decision can depend on someone's private mind ?

And in unlikely event of failing studies, do I have to repay whole Tuition Fee ?

Thanks in advance and wishing you good night for those night owls who are not sleeping already.

Ps. Sorry for my English, is not that perfect yet but I hope I'm clear enough
    If you've been resident in the EU for the last three years, you should be entitled to a tuition fee loan. There are some specific rules relating to part time study, which you can read here- http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...dents#navmoney

The decision is usually straight forward and won't depend on one person's opinion. There's usually only doubt about the situation if it's unclear where you would be considered a resident (e.g. if you owned a house in the UK but currently worked abroad) or if someone is trying to prove they are independent of their parents for the maintenance loan.

If you fail or drop out, you only have to repay what you have borrowed, but tuition fees are paid in advance, so if you were to drop out mid year, you might have already paid for a few extra months, which you will then have to pay back.

I hope that's all clear. The tuition fee part of your plan is probably more straightforward than your plan to find a part time job!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    You mention failing - are you talking about completing the year and failing or dropping out part way through the year? if it's the former, you'd pay under the normal terms - 9% of anything over £21k per year.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.