Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does you CV include any lies? If so are they big or small?
    Just wondering whether it's common or not for people to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    No it doesn't contain any lies

ReputationRep:
    Big lie

"I am a voluptuous, leggy blonde, with GG cup breasts".

You should see the disappointment when I stroll in to interview.

*It's funny because I'm male and not blonde.... and I don't have GG cup breasts or long legs...

ReputationRep:
    Of course not. My CV leaves out things but not direct lies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    Of course not. My CV leaves out things but not direct lies.
    This.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Beyond actual facts like dates and places it's hard to say what is or is not a lie tbh.

You can put down a project you worked on and spin it out of all proportion depending on the exact words you use. If you are the sort of person who is good at writing persuasively you yourself won't know where the truth ends and lies begin, you'll naturally write it in such a way that makes you out to be hot ****.

This is why not that much attention is paid to the CV during the recruitment process. In fact, since the world of business is all about bull**** and smoke and mirrors, a persuasive CV is probably going to mark you out as an asset if anything.

It's also why you should put as many numbers in your CV as possible. It shows you have some sort of concrete basis for your claims.

ReputationRep:
    Everything that is on my CV is a complete truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Incognito)
    Does you CV include any lies? If so are they big or small?
    Just wondering whether it's common or not for people to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not a single lie. I work in IT so it is extremely easy to be asked questions about specific technologies listed on a CV.

ReputationRep:
    If you lie and you are discovered, you will be sacked. That won't help your CV. Don't lie, it's stupid and if you are only at university nobody expects you to have that much experience. Just make the best of what you have got.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.