Religion

Watch this thread
Abdullahi_3487
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Is insulting ones religion a act of free speech?
BitWindy
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Yes, of course.
pjm600
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Abdullahi_3487)
Is insulting ones religion a act of free speech?
"ones religion", as in ones own religion? That'd be a fairly strange thing to do, although perhaps standard material for progressive religious comedians.

It would be an act of speech. Free speech? What is an act of free speech? Is this message?
davidx2
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pjm600)
"ones religion", as in ones own religion? That'd be a fairly strange thing to do, although perhaps standard material for progressive religious comedians.

It would be an act of speech. Free speech? What is an act of free speech? Is this message?
My personal belief, and the reason why I am not religious, is that religion seems to produce more harm to human civilisation than good. Its old age doctrines and dogmatic texts only provide harm to a modern scientific society, whilst they seemingly continue to harm and prevent human progression, freedom and liberties. My belief is religion is toxic, and has been for thousands of years. Just a look back into the history books provides copious examples of human barbarism and conflict fuelled by religion. I can only be glad for the enlightenment, and the increase and growing acceptance of science, freedom and liberty.
Abdullahi_3487
Rep:
(Original post by davidx2)
My personal belief, and the reason why I am not religious, is that religion seems to produce more harm to human civilisation than good. Its old age doctrines and dogmatic texts only provide harm to a modern scientific society, whilst they seemingly continue to harm and prevent human progression, freedom and liberties. My belief is religion is toxic, and has been for thousands of years. Just a look back into the history books provides copious examples of human barbarism and conflict fuelled by religion. I can only be glad for the enlightenment, and the increase and growing acceptance of science, freedom and liberty.
That were I disagree with you, me being a strong religious person, I believe Religion is good for the world. Religion can give hope, peace, a sense of something bigger than we are. Religion can bind and unite us like no other system on the face of the earth. However, religion can become fanatical, causing people to do foolish things when they loose a sense of basic right and wrong in the name of their religion. On that same note, it is human nature that brings the worst out religion not the foundations of religion itself. A world without religion, a world without something to look forward to, is a world I would not want to be a part of.
Farm_Ecology
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Religion can bind and unite us like no other system on the face of the earth.
I beg to differ, look at certain fandoms. They feel a strong sense of belonging and companionship with other fans, and can urge them to do great good.

A world without religion, a world without something to look forward to, is a world I would not want to be a part of.
That's a very depressing outlook.
Abdullahi_3487
Rep:
(Original post by Farm_Ecology)
I beg to differ, look at certain fandoms. They feel a strong sense of belonging and companionship with other fans, and can urge them to do great good.

That's a very depressing outlook.
An outlook which I certainly believe in.
BefuddledPenguin
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Insulting religion is necessary for progression. I'm an antitheist, I find the concept of god to be inherently offensive. My being offended by the concept of god (or gods) is highly offensive to other people, but then I am highly offended by any suggestion that god is a positive concept.

People should not have the right to not be offended, as offensiveness is subjective and, at times, contradictory.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (50)
30.12%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (73)
43.98%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (41)
24.7%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.2%

Watched Threads