Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey guys

i want to study psychology in the future but i don't know if i picked the right A levels

so at the moment for AS i do

psychology
    sociology
    government and politics

i did English lit but i droped because of some problems but i might take as an AS anyway
    i heard you need sceinces to be able to do psychology at uni is this true? am halfway through and i am scared universities might reject me because of this. Have i got a chance to study psychology in the future??

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, I'm applying for Psychology at university too and I don't do any sciences in A-level.
    Also, my friend has been offered places in universities hoping to study Psychology and he does Psychology, History and Politics at A-level, so you should be fine.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by noey123)
    hey guys

i want to study psychology in the future but i don't know if i picked the right A levels

psychology
    sociology
    government and politics

i did English lit but i droped because of some problems but i might take as an AS anyway
    i heard you need sceinces to be able to do psychology at uni is this true? am halfway through and i am scared universities might reject me because of this. Have i got a chance to study psychology in the future??

Thanks in advance
    I've moved this to the psychology study help forum for you :hat2:

ReputationRep:
    hey guys

psychology
    sociology
    government and politics

Thanks in advance
    I suppose the actual answer to your question is: it depends on the university.

Many universities will say that 1 social science (you have 2) and 1 natural science is preferred, but not essential.

For example, Cambridge University, which is ranked #1 in the UK, have the following requirements for their Psychological and Behavioural Sciences course:

Essential No specific subjects
    Highly desirable A Level Biology or Mathematics
    Useful An A Level humanities/social science subject

Even at Cambridge, there are no essential subjects, not even Psychology. The reason for this is that you pretty much learn from scratch, but obviously at Undergraduate level

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beyknowles)
    I suppose the actual answer to your question is: it depends on the university.

Many universities will say that 1 social science (you have 2) and 1 natural science is preferred, but not essential.

For example, Cambridge University, which is ranked #1 in the UK, have the following requirements for their Psychological and Behavioural Sciences course:

Essential No specific subjects
    Highly desirable A Level Biology or Mathematics
    Useful An A Level humanities/social science subject

Even at Cambridge, there are no essential subjects, not even Psychology. The reason for this is that you pretty much learn from scratch, but obviously at Undergraduate level

Good luck
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    From my experience the people who struggled most in 1st year were those who didn't do A-level psychology. Because it just takes a while to get round to the psychology way of thinking. A-level does give a decent basic grasp of research methods and the different disciplines, although you will learn it differently at degree level.

I think both essay and science based subjects are good for Psychology. I did biology which was helpful, especially when doing the neuroscience and even evolutionary parts. But it wasn't vital, it just meant the early lectures came very easy to me because I already had an understanding.

It's also good to have essay based subjects because you'll be doing plenty of essays!

ReputationRep:
    it all depends on the university. the courses youre doing sound fine. you can always go onto the UCAS website or the uni website you want to go to to check their entry requirements for the course you want to go on

ReputationRep:
    hey guys

psychology
    sociology
    government and politics

Thanks in advance
    no, in almost every uni, science subjects are not essential to do psychology
    i go to Newcastle studying psychology - the way my entry requirements worked was that the grades you needed would be lower if you did more science subjects (maths, biology, physics, chemistry, psychology, etc..)
    so the initial entry requirement was AAA, although since i was studying psychology, maths and biology, i only needed ABB

the only reason for this is because universities prefer students who have been exposed to the more science-like subjects, merely because some of the modules such as neuroscience may have quite a bit of science in it
    i highly doubt you'll be rejected because you don't do a science, they just don't want people struggling with the content because they might not understand some of the science behind it

ReputationRep:
    Some of the more competitive unis prefer applicants with two sciences (including maths and psychology), and some require at least GCSE grade A or B maths. If your not applying to UCL/York/Oxbridge i would worry less about not having two sciences.

ReputationRep:
    It does all depend on the Uni's you look at but what I found when I was looking is that you need Maths GCSE grade C/B or above but then most don't specify any particular A Levels

I do English Lit, English Language, Psychology and then I did Religious Studies at AS level and I've got all my offers from Uni's to do Psychology. Also, you don't actually need to study Psychology at ALevel to do it at Uni, I know someone who didn't do it and has just graduated with the highest grade so yeah, good luck applying!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you aim to be a psychologist, you won't become one

ReputationRep:
    It depends what university you go to. Portsmouth was one of the universities I got in to and sciences were regarded very highly. I've heard that a lot of universities prefer biology or chemistry over psychology because people pick up bad habits doing it at A level and its completely different anyway because there's no referencing. If you aren't an Oxbridge candidate which lets face it - very few are, then in my opinion I don't think it makes much of a difference what uni you study psychology at as long as it's bps accredited, you're happy and you get a 2:1 which is easier to get at a lower ranking university.

This is because you can't do anything in Psychology without a masters degree. It makes more sense to go to a uni with a cheap cost of living so you can concentrate on your assignments and revision without having a part time job hindering you.

It would really help me out if all of you who are 18+ could please do my questionnaire for me for my dissertation on personality, violent gaming and aggression and in return you can receive a copy of my dissertation if you are interested. I'll also reply to any private messages about my uni (bedfordshire) and studying psychology at degree level.

https://qtrial2015az1.az1.qualtrics....dzgWV7laijutEx
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Got into UCL with psych as only science.

ReputationRep:
    You need to look at the individual uni requirements! I came from Ireland, where Psychology isn't even a subject at schools, so I had no psychology background, I also did no science subjects. A lot of Unis make science a requirement, but I am at Glasgow Uni (psych department is ranked #2 in the UK) and science is not a requirement. However if you do not like (or at least are not willing to get to like) science and maths then I would reconsider Psychology, as about half the course is statistics/science based. As for not doing psychology, I wouldn't worry they teach everything from scratch.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.