The Student Room Group

Moments - M2 Question

When you have a ladder leaning on a wall and friction is acting, and you take moments about the point where the ladder touches the wall do you need to consider the moment that the friction force has? Normally, I always take moments about the point of contact with the floor and therefore eliminate friction, but in a question on M2 Jan 04 you need to take moments about where the ladder leans on the wall. In the markscheme they ignore the frictional force when taking moments, but that doesn't make sense to me!!!
Reply 1
Hoofbeat
When you have a ladder leaning on a wall and friction is acting, and you take moments about the point where the ladder touches the wall do you need to consider the moment that the friction force has? Normally, I always take moments about the point of contact with the floor and therefore eliminate friction, but in a question on M2 Jan 04 you need to take moments about where the ladder leans on the wall. In the markscheme they ignore the frictional force when taking moments, but that doesn't make sense to me!!!

yes you should.

maybe they found a way to eliminate it somehow in the markscheme
Reply 2
elpaw
yes you should.

maybe they found a way to eliminate it somehow in the markscheme

I AM AN IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the wall that is rough not the floor! (slams head against wall). Grrrr that cost me 10marks on the test we did today! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :mad:

Thanks anyways Elpaw :smile:
Reply 3
Hoofbeat
I AM AN IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the wall that is rough not the floor! (slams head against wall). Grrrr that cost me 10marks on the test we did today! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :mad:

Thanks anyways Elpaw :smile:

Oh dear! mucho compassion :frown:
Hoofbeat
It's the wall that is rough not the floor! (slams head against wall).

Ouch. That might not have hurt so much if the wall wasnt rough.
XTinaA
Ouch. That might not have hurt so much if the wall wasnt rough.

That's in my M1.

Latest

Trending

Trending