Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Worried about eating well/working out making me shallow, parents don't want that. watch

ReputationRep:
    I just texted my dad that I'm afraid that my healthy lifestyle will make me shallow so I'm sabotaging it, he replied 'you are strong'. I did not get a response all day so I did not go to the gym. He later said he disagreed with me sabotaging but now I think I am strong for doing so because it'll make me shallow if I carry it through. This just proves what I was worrying about, that it's not OK to be shallow, therefore I should not be taking care of myself-which means I am much less likely to ever have a partner. But I am an awful person otherwise and Dad has just proven it. So I'm going to feel constant guilt about sorting one area of my life out :/

The reason for my constant need for approval from my parents to not eat cake or go to the gym, is because I could not live with myself if they thought badly of me e.g. that I had grown up to be a shallow, superficial, vain individual. (But for the record, they're all overweight-see I'm already the most shallow in the family :/)

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, you shouldn't always seek their approval, you are your own person. Whatever you do your parents should love you for who you are.
    Secondly, being healthy doesn't make you shallow, it just shows that you want to take care of yourself which is something that everybody should do. What would make you shallow is becoming so obsessed with it that that's all you think about.
    Please don't feel like your life is for your parents, live it the way you want to!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    I just texted my dad that I'm afraid that my healthy lifestyle will make me shallow so I'm sabotaging it, he replied 'you are strong'. I did not get a response all day so I did not go to the gym. He later said he disagreed with me sabotaging but now I think I am strong for doing so because it'll make me shallow if I carry it through. This just proves what I was worrying about, that it's not OK to be shallow, therefore I should not be taking care of myself-which means I am much less likely to ever have a partner. But I am an awful person otherwise and Dad has just proven it. So I'm going to feel constant guilt about sorting one area of my life out :/

The reason for my constant need for approval from my parents to not eat cake or go to the gym, is because I could not live with myself if they thought badly of me e.g. that I had grown up to be a shallow, superficial, vain individual. (But for the record, they're all overweight-see I'm already the most shallow in the family :/)
    Wern't you saying they were calling you fat for helping yourself to another portion not so long. Now this is the opposite.

Your either trolling or you've got some rediculously bad self-confidence issues.

Obssessing over your parents every word in an attempt not to dissapoint . The irony ofcourse being that they see your behaviour as pathetic and would rather you actually developed a voice of your own.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2015
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.